How can I do a "renewcounter" in latex

Post by John Jon » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I am working with report.cls but I want tables to be
numbered consecutively throughout the document.  The file
defines the counter for tables to be numbered within
chapters by

\newcounter{table}[chapter]

so I would like to say

\renewcounter{table}

but this command does not exist.  What is the easiest way to
get the same effect.
--

                                 John Jones

Post by Robin Fairbair » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I am working with report.cls but I want tables to be
>numbered consecutively throughout the document.  The file
>defines the counter for tables to be numbered within
>chapters by

>\newcounter{table}[chapter]

>so I would like to say

>\renewcounter{table}

>but this command does not exist.  What is the easiest way to
>get the same effect.

On CTAN, in file macros/latex/contrib/other/fragments/removefr.tex,

which does the necessary for you.

Of course, report.cls also defines \thetable (the means of outputting
a table number) in terms of the chapter, too.

So your mini-package to repair the `damage' should be:

  <contents of removefr.tex>

  \renewcommand{\thetable}{\arabic{table}}

You can of course repeat the latter two lines, edited for the benefit
of figures, too.
--

U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Home page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html