help on installing dvips on a pc

Post by Thulasinath Manick » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I am trying to install dvips on my PC(MS-DOS, Windows-95).
I uncompressed dvips560.alpha.tar.gz and edited the files
pc\makefile.tc and pc\config.ps. When I tried 'make -fpc\makefile.tc',
I got the following error message:

search.c:
Warning search.c 85: Nonportable pointer conversion in function search
Error search.c 86: Undefined symbol 'pclose' in function search
Warning search.c 223: Nonportable pointer conversion in function search
Error search.c 224: Undefined symbol 'pclose' in function search
Warning search.c 384: Parameter 'vdpi' is never used in function pksearch
*** 2 errors in Compile ***

I am not sure if there is a problem in the file search.c or in my
editing of the files pc\makefile.tc and pc\config.ps.

Also, I didn't understand the following lines in pc\config.ps
*V c:\texfonts\vf
*L c:\texfonts\;lj_0;lj_h;lj_1;lj_2;lj_3;lj_4;lj_5a;lj_5b;lj_sli

I don't have any vf files and in c:\texfonts\ I have only bj_base.fli,
bj_more.fli, p6h_base.fli, p6h_more.fli.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Tulsi

Post by Hans Martin Rit » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I am trying to install dvips on my PC(MS-DOS, Windows-95).
> I uncompressed dvips560.alpha.tar.gz and edited the files
> pc\makefile.tc and pc\config.ps. When I tried 'make -fpc\makefile.tc',
> I got the following error message:

> search.c:  ........

Why don't you use the ready-to-use version in
systems/msdos/dviware/dvips on CTAN
Quote:

> Also, I didn't understand the following lines in pc\config.ps
> *V c:\texfonts\vf

For every Postscript-Font that is installed in the printer fixed you
need a virtual font(vf). The most common are coming with the package
named above.

Quote:> *L c:\texfonts\;lj_0;lj_h;lj_1;lj_2;lj_3;lj_4;lj_5a;lj_5b;lj_sli

The Computer-Modern fonts are not used to be Postscriptfonts. If dvips
recognizes someone used non-Postscript fonts, it includes a bitmap-font
that is derivated from the common TEX-Fonts that are for example packed
in the FLI's. Dvips is setup for the use of Laserjet-Fonts(lj_0,....)
for this procedure. You can change that - have fun to search the right
place(Should be one of the configuration-files ;-))

You'll find the Laserjet font files on CTAN.

> I don't have any vf files and in c:\texfonts\ I have only bj_base.fli,
> bj_more.fli, p6h_base.fli, p6h_more.fli.

> I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
> Tulsi

Martin

1. Need help installing dvips on PC

I downloaded a lot of software from wuarchive.wustl.edu and am
trying to install it. I installed sbtex and now I am trying to
install dvips which I obtained along with other programs from
the directory mirrors/msdos/postscript.

The file 00-index.txt said that the zip file dvips54.zip contained
C source code, which it didn't. It did contain the executable
dvips.exe. The documentation contained some useful information
but I could not get dvips.exe to perform correctly.

Here are the kinds of problems I have:
(1) dvips.exe can't find various font files. I tried to correct this
    by setting environment variables and that didn't help. I also
    edited the config.sys file so that when dvips finds it the options
    contained therein point to the right places but it didn't help.
(2) I am also worried about making the  definitions of environment
    variables consistent with the ones I am using for sbtex.
(3) dvips doesn't seem to be responding to the command line options.
   The reason I think so is that from the messages it prints,
    it is calling MakeTeXPK.bat which in turn is supposed to write to the file
    dvips.mfj, echoing some of the command line options. But when I
    examine the file dvips.mfj, it makes no difference what command line
    options I use when I call dvips.
(4) Without source code and being no good as using the DOS Debugger,
   I can't figure out what could be wrong.

Can some tell me what I am doing wrong. Especially welcome would
be a script for installing sbtex and dvips so that they both work.
I also want to be able to use the package dvivga.

Allan Adler

2. IAS on W2k against NDS

3. Problem: Installing dvips v.5.83 on PC with emtex

4. Flexibility in remapping Appletalk networks

5. Q: installing dvips on the PC

6. Group-purchase of PMMUs is apparently defunct

7. help installing dviwin for miktex on win95 pc ...

8. Dail Up networking?

9. Help Help Help Help Help with installing emtex

10. Help with installing Indian language fonts on PC

11. Help to Install Tex on PC

12. Help installing emtex on a 486 PC

13. Help to install gTeX on PC...