how to make a tabular with dashes in miktex 2?

how to make a tabular with dashes in miktex 2?

how can i insert text within a visible box made with dashes? THX!

Post by Robin Fairbair » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:48:19

>how can i insert text within a visible box made with dashes? THX!

you type it in the box command's arguments.

for example, in the picture environment:

  \dashbox{1}(50,50){here we are again}
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge -- rf10 at cam dot ac dot uk

1. em-dash, 3/4 em-dash, en-dash query

This question will probably be of most interest to European readers:

Perhaps it isn't worth bothering with, but I'm curious.  In the United
States, the em-dash (---), without surrounding spaces, is widely used
and is recommended by, e.g., The University of Chicago Press (_A Style
Manual_).  In the U.K.  and, at least, the Scandinavian countries,
however, the en-dash, with surrounding spaces, is the norm.  (There are
a few exceptions:  Oxford University Press, in books published in 1909,
1939 and 1961, uses the em-dash without surrounding spaces.  A few
Norwegian books I have use the em-dash or the 3/4 em-dash with
surrounding spaces.)  Here in Canada, there is no standard practice, as
far as I know.  Of two books pulled at random from my bookshelf
published by McClelland and Stewart (one of our major publishers), one
has the en-dash with spaces and the other has the em-dash without
spaces.  For a novel written by my wife and published last year, the
publishers used an em-dash with surrounding spaces.  I don't know what
common practice is in, e.g., France, Germany or Spain, but would be
interested in learning about these countries' usages.

To my typographically untrained eyes, neither the em-dash without
surrounding spaces nor the en-dash with spaces is ideal.  The former
is simply ugly (jamming too much together), and the latter is not
distinctive enough.  A reasonable compromise would seem to be the
3/4 em-dash with surrounding spaces.  Is there anyone who uses such
a character in tex or latex?  I would appreciate a reply showing
me how to do it.  A possible approximation is $-$, but I don't
know enough to get equal spacing on both sides when setting this
up as: \def\em{$-$}.  (A colleague here tells me that in latex,
I must always put a \(space) after the \em when using it.  Is
there a way around this?)

Many thanks,

Chet Creider

2. Bibliography

3. making .dtx and .ins files

4. Ethernet address?

5. dashed tabular

6. Requesting suggestions on how to represent AND and OR conditional strings in XML

7. hvdashln.sty file for dashed lines in array and tabular

8. Help! Bug is driving me loony!!!

9. Q: dashed or dotted column separators in tabular?

10. How do I put dashed lines in tabular environents?

11. a dashed line into an array or tabular

12. Making Slides with Miktex

13. Making a latex209 format file (using MikTeX)