search paths for .eps figures (teTeX, dvips)

search paths for .eps figures (teTeX, dvips)

Post by Michael Friend » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have .eps figures in several scattered directories.  Is it possible
to define kpathsea-like search paths so that*and dvips can find
them without explicitly including the full path in the
\includegraphics command?

--

Psychology Dept
York University      Voice: 416 736-5118  Fax: 416 736-5814

Post by David Carlisl » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

   I have .eps figures in several scattered directories.  Is it possible
   to define kpathsea-like search paths so that*and dvips can find
   them without explicitly including the full path in the
   \includegraphics command?

normally best is to make sure that the directories with the graphics
in are  in the TEXINPUTS search tree then*will use the normal
kpathsea search.

If that is inconvenient you can use \graphicspath to give alternative
directories to LaTeX, but that uses a search strategy written in TeX
which is slower (much slower on some systems) than using file search
built into TeX (kpathsea in your case).

David

1. DVIPS Default figure search paths...

Hi all,
I'm using 'psfig' to include Postscript files into my LaTeX documents.
Seemingly 'psfig' finds the file to be included, when I run LaTeX.
My problem is that DVIPS won't find the files to be included unless I put them in
TEX_INPUTS: (Yep, you guessed. VMS)....
The problem with this is that it prevents ordinary users from including files,
because they don't have write access to the directory...

I tried setting \psfigurepath in my document, but that had no effect...
(Obvious really... when you think about it....)

I don't want to play with the source to DVIPS, but I will if necessary....
I've RTFM'd all day and can find no solution....

Would it be advisable to add SYS$LOGIN: to the TEX_INPUT: search path ??
And let users put the files in their home directory ???

Thanks all...

Special thanks (for their help already) to

---
                                                  Chris.

+ J.C. Higgins, Sys Admin   + Auditor, Computer Science Society, U.C.C.

2. Customizing Yahoo content with AvantGO

3. teTeX and addition of directories to search paths

4. Aerad final approach plates

5. : search path of dvips in UNIX

6. termn.error

7. DVIPS search for EPS-files

8. Can't see messages in INBOX using Pine... [Cyrus]

9. Path search of Tex

10. mikTeX search path

11. BibTeX search path...

12. Newbie, help with search path

13. MiKTeX search path for working directory