Equation numbering question

Post by Kell » Thu, 31 May 2001 07:20:45

I have a document containing a SET of three equations. I want to number
them:

(3.12a), (3.12b) and (3.12c)

but I have no idea how to add the a, b and c to the automatic numbering
of the equations (I have some ideas on how to make sure the numbering
itself does not advance for two equations, using the equation counter)

Anybody have any ideas on this subject

Thanks a lot

Greetz
Kelly

Post by Donald Arsenea » Thu, 31 May 2001 09:56:02

> I have a document containing a SET of three equations. I want to number
> them:

> (3.12a), (3.12b) and (3.12c)

amsmath.sty,  subeqn.sty,  or cases.sty.

1. Equation numbering questions

Hi,

I'm trying to number everything in my document continuously by section, so
that for instance, equation 2.3 is the third item (theorem, equation, lemma,
whatever) in the second section. What I have now is using the theorem.sty
package to define theorems as:
\newtheorem{theorem}[equation]{Theorem.}[section]
in the preamble. This shares the counter, but LaTeX is still numbering by
chapter (so 2.3 is the third item in the second chapter). Does anyone know
how I can change it to numbering by section?

Also, I'd like to change the formatting of the equation numbers to not have
parentheses. So for example, it should be displayed as:
1+1=2                1.2

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Cheers,

- Emmanuel

2. hp printer trays.

3. *Another* equation number question

4. FAQ: Pointer to eCS Failure FAQ (includes eCS LOL Gallery)

5. HELP: Easy (I think) equation numbering question!

6. RamDisk share not reset on reboot

7. a question about numbering equations

8. Parts for Sun-2 and Sun-3 systems

9. Beginners question about numbering of equations

10. Question about resetting equation number

11. Question: Equation sub-numbering in LaTeX

12. A Question on Equation Numbering in LaTeX

13. question about appendix section and equation numbering