ANNOUNCE: ascii text to TeX conversion 'as is'; two C programs

ANNOUNCE: ascii text to TeX conversion 'as is'; two C programs

Post by Juhana K Kouh » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I had two problems:

(i) To print ascii text files, such as C source code, easily;
various text-to-PS solutions didn't work since, for example,
I also wanted to view resulting PS with Ghostview/GhostScript.
(Good(?) 'pps' program I have not found -- anyone?)

(ii) To put ascii texts 'as is' to my documents. \begintt and \endtt
described in the TeXbook were terrible.

My solution to the problem (i) is my simple text2tex program which
turns one ascii file to TeX document. There are no options; the
program gives one result. The font used is the typewriter font.
For further processing, such as putting two pages to one paper sheet,
I use pstops (some minor problems with it but it works).

My solution to the problem (ii) is my simple texpp program which
preprocesses a TeX file containing so far only two preprocessor
macros: \texppbegintt and \texppendtt. Text between those macros
is rewritten to TeX similarly as it is done in text2tex.

Both programs are available as C source code from
  ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/TeX/Tools/kouhia/
directory. They are not in CTAN because I first look if there are
better programs already available.

I would like to know if there are better solutions to my problems.
For example, where is pps program? Is there any 'pretty tex' program
instead of 'pretty ps'? Is pps commercial since it is not in Linux
distributions?
Is there a real TeX macros for printing plain ascii text?
For example, TeXbook's \begintt and \endtt doesn't allow page breaks.

Please, mail me a copy of your replies because currently there is
some problems with our news system and I don't see any articles in
comp.text.tex. Thanks. Normally, I would read the replies from the
newsgroup....

Juhana Kouhia

ANNOUNCE: ascii text to TeX conversion 'as is'; two C programs

Post by Juhana K Kouh » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I wrote about my two problems.

Quote:>(i) To print ascii text files, such as C source code, easily;

I have now got 'pps'. But my own text2tex is good enough.

Quote:>(ii) To put ascii texts 'as is' to my documents.

CTAN has verbtim2 macros for including ascii text 'as is'.
It works as well as my own preprocessor based solution,
but it is the right thing.

I have not tried any other solutions.
My C language programs are in
  ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/TeX/Tools/kouhia/

Juhana Kouhia

1. '<' and '>': do they exist in text mode?

I was wondering wheter the chracters < and > exist in text mode. Or
should I use $<$ and $>$? no other way around?
Thank you,
Gabriel
   ______          __     _
  / ____/ ____ _  / /_   (_)
 / / __  / __ `/ / __ \ / /
/ /_/ / / /_/ / / /_/ // /
\____/  \__,_/ /_.___//_/

2. 3-link help needed

3. 'C-program to latex/tex'-converter needed

4. RIP broadcasts on 2511

5. Power Challenge - Disk to Disk Copy problems

6. How do I scale: 'Text \includegraphics{foo.eps} more text'?

7. Looking for Kickstart 1.1 disk for A1000

8. Making '-' produce 'minus' instead of 'hyphen'

9. Please teach me www.site!! ''table.tex'' wroted by Mr. Michael Wichura

10. typesetting TeX text 'on top of' and EPSF logo

11. Announcing bibweb: get bibtex listings for math papers 'automatically'