Justification in ConTeXt & LaTeX

Post by Vittor » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:26:43

I'm having a go to move from*to ConTeXt  as far as my daughters'
school reports, my work reports and documents are involved (For these
kinds of documents I'm now using the excellent memoir class by
P.Wilson).

But, what I noticed, is that the same document with right & left
justified margins looks somewhat different if compiled in pdfLaTeX or
in ConTeXt (driver=pdftex).

In fact the pdfLaTeX document's right margin looks very fine and much
smoother than the same margin of the ConteXt document.

Is that possible?

Is there any option I could add to improve the appearance of right
margin in ConteXt?

Ciao

Vittorio

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 23:31:04

> I'm having a go to move from*to ConTeXt  as far as my daughters'
> school reports, my work reports and documents are involved (For these
> kinds of documents I'm now using the excellent memoir class by
> P.Wilson).

> But, what I noticed, is that the same document with right & left
> justified margins looks somewhat different if compiled in pdfLaTeX or
> in ConTeXt (driver=pdftex).

> In fact the pdfLaTeX document's right margin looks very fine and much
> smoother than the same margin of the ConteXt document.

> Is that possible?

> Is there any option I could add to improve the appearance of right
> margin in ConteXt?

There are a few things to check out: first of all, you could have
protruding turned on --this makes some chars hang from the margin on
purpouse. Second, you should check that the text is typeset in the
same font, font size, line width as in LaTeX, so as to ensure that
the different justification is not an effect of differently-fitting
text.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "My daddy will buy it for me")

1. command that behaves different in a math context (vs. text context)

Subject: command that behaves different in a math context (vs. text context)

To: comp.text.tex

I am searching for a mechanism that will make it possible to make
a command behave differently in a math environment than in a
text environment.  For example, the bold used in this command
should be mathbf in a math environment and textbf elsewhere.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
BK

2. gif and jpeg libraries

3. MiKTeX & ConTeXt

4. CFS

5. AMS-LaTeX 1.2, PS AMSFonts, and psamsfonts.ins

6. modem for PS/2

7. LaTeX plug-ins for EmEditor?

8. Help U line coding

9. latex & thumbpdf & ghostscript

10. How to force L&R justification in LaTeX?

11. Justification of p{} in tabular (LaTeX 2.09)

12. Removing right justification in LaTex

13. EPSF & PCTeX & Windows & ...