\renewcounter

Post by Charles Pug » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I want to number figures throughout a book
document, not resetting the counter to 1
at the start of each chapter. Changing the
definition of the figure counter in the book
class works, but is there not a style file type
of solution? A kind of "renewcounter" command
that redefines \newcounter{figure}[chapter] to
\newcounter{figure}?

I know that a new counter can be defined,
and I tried unsucessfully to replace the
figure counter by a new one, but the new one did
not increment with each new figure.

A recent query of a similar nature concerned
subtractng a quantity from a counter, and I believe
it was answered by Piet van Oostrum. In this case
I want not to subtract but to eliminate the [chapter]
option.

Thanks in advance, Charles Pugh

(Sorry if you receive multiple copies of this, but
the send function of Netscape seems to be on the fritz.)

[...]

1. How can I do a "renewcounter" in latex

I am working with report.cls but I want tables to be
numbered consecutively throughout the document.  The file
defines the counter for tables to be numbered within
chapters by

\newcounter{table}[chapter]

so I would like to say

\renewcounter{table}

but this command does not exist.  What is the easiest way to
get the same effect.
--

                                 John Jones

2. Downloading Attachments

3. \renewcounter{ctr} command?

4. Formatting Form E-mail Output

5. renewcounter

6. Urgent job opening for .Net Archtiect-reply back to nalini@itincus.com

7. Why doesn't LaTeX2e have a \renewcounter?

8. Epson Stylus 400

9. \renewcounter