Makeindex

Post by Jan Mazu » Fri, 24 Feb 1995 03:36:06

Hi!

Does anybody know how to make index on UNIX machine.
I use TeX /TeX, C Version 3.14t3/ from InterWorks CD.

I've heard there is a program /written in C/ called 'makeindex'
but I haven't got source and I don't know if it is free software.
More over my TeX /LaTeX/ can't recognize '\printindex' command.

Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks in advance!

Makeindex

Post by Robin Fairbair » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 20:14:09

Quote:>Does anybody know how to make index on UNIX machine.
>I use TeX /TeX, C Version 3.14t3/ from InterWorks CD.

>I've heard there is a program /written in C/ called 'makeindex'
>but I haven't got source and I don't know if it is free software.

It's free all right.  Look on CTAN (e.g., ftp.tex.ac.uk)
tex-archive/indexing/makeindex directory.

Quote:>More over my TeX /LaTeX/ can't recognize '\printindex' command.

You need to include the makeidx package; that's what defines
\printindex.
--

U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Private page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

1. Difficulties with makeindex

Dear TeXers,

I am just starting to use the makeindex program. I have added

\usepackage{makeidx}
\makeindex

to my preamble

and

\printindex

to my main document. Further, I have written, for example, \index{Germany}
for every instance of Germany. However, now when I compile (using miktex
2.2) the word Germany is missing from my dvi document! Can someone tell me
what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Rudi

2. lpr/lpd under IRIX 5.3 -- picky printcap?

3. makeindex personal .ist files

4. "Disk or Network Error"

5. MAKEINDEX pointing to a script with MiKTeX?

6. Backup Netware + NT SBS on one tapedrive

7. question on Makeindex sort options? (with French language)

8. Reference for the same table

9. indexing, style specifiers are ignored by makeindex

10. How to index common words with makeindex?

11. makeindex 3.0.0

12. natbib & makeindex

13. Sorting ArabTeX words with Makeindex 3.0.8