\new@fontshape for Postscript fonts in Mittelbach & Sch\"opf new font scheme

Post by Sohail Asl » Sat, 29 Jun 1991 01:49:51

This question may have appeared before. I've only now begun using Mittelbach &
Sch\"opf new font selection scheme. I use Postscript fonts. If someone has

would grateful if he/she could sent a copy. I'll then add the lines to
fontdef.tex to generate a new lplain.fmt. What I mean is stuff of the form:
(this is for cmr fonts )

%%
%% And here is your playground:
%%

      <5>cmr5%
      <6>cmr6%
      <7>cmr7%
      <8>cmr8%
      <9>cmr9%
      <10>cmr10%
      <11>cmr10 at10.95pt%
      <12>cmr12%
      <14>cmr12 at14.4pt%
      <17>cmr17%
      <20>cmr17 at20.736pt%
      <25>cmr17 at24.8832pt}{}

for the virtual fonts (ptr, ptri, pncr etc.)

Thanks.

Sohail Aslam

    and Development
305 Talbot Laboratory                  office: +1 217 244 4146
104 South Wright Street                fax:    +1 217 244 1351
University of Illinois
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Post by Rainer Schoe » Wed, 03 Jul 1991 07:56:29

>This question may have appeared before. I've only now begun using Mittelbach &
>Sch\"opf new font selection scheme. I use Postscript fonts. If someone has

>would grateful if he/she could sent a copy. I'll then add the lines to
>fontdef.tex to generate a new lplain.fmt. What I mean is stuff of the form:

Try looking into

rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de:soft/tex/latex-style/supported/NFSS-Soton/*

Rainer Sch"opf

Post by Sebastian Rah » Wed, 03 Jul 1991 21:38:16

   >This question may have appeared before. I've only now begun using
   >Mittelbach & Sch\"opf new font selection scheme. I use Postscript

   >fonts (Times, Palatino etc.) I'd would grateful if he/she could
   >sent a copy. I'll then add the lines to fontdef.tex to generate a
   >new lplain.fmt. What I mean is stuff of the form:

   Try looking into

   rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de:soft/tex/latex-style/supported/NFSS-Soton/*

I think Rainer's offering is what I did last year; I have revised this
recently, and included a more complete system for making SLiTeX (but
this is still unofficial). Rainer has the new version, which will also
be in the UK TeX Archive in
 [tex-archivel.latex.styles.fontsel.soton]

Sebastian Rahtz

--

Post by Rainer Schoe » Fri, 05 Jul 1991 21:34:12

>   >This question may have appeared before. I've only now begun using
>   >Mittelbach & Sch\"opf new font selection scheme. I use Postscript

>   >fonts (Times, Palatino etc.) I'd would grateful if he/she could
>   >sent a copy. I'll then add the lines to fontdef.tex to generate a
>   >new lplain.fmt. What I mean is stuff of the form:

>   Try looking into

>   rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de:soft/tex/latex-style/supported/NFSS-Soton/*

>I think Rainer's offering is what I did last year; I have revised this
>recently, and included a more complete system for making SLiTeX (but
>this is still unofficial). Rainer has the new version, which will also
>be in the UK TeX Archive in
> [tex-archivel.latex.styles.fontsel.soton]

>Sebastian Rahtz

>--

It's now in Stuttgart as well. The directory is called nfss-soton, in
an attempt to avoid mixed case names.

   Rainer Sch"opf
   DANTE Koordinator f"ur Server
   Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum                       ,,Ich mag es nicht, wenn
    fuer Informationstechnik Berlin            sich die Dinge so frueh
   Heilbronner Strasse 10                      am Morgen schon so
   D-1000 Berlin 31                            dynamisch entwickeln!''
   Federal Republic of Germany

1. Postscript fonts with dvips & the new font selection scheme

I've hacked a fontdef.tex to make Times the default font for text under
the new font selection scheme, and made the obvious accompanying changes
to \sfdefault (now Helvetica) and \ttdefault (now Courier). This is all
fine except

        (i) The leading is wrong; Times needs a bigger leading. Where does
            latex set the leading ? I can't find where it's going on to reset
            things cleanly.

       (ii) Helvetica 12pt is blatantly incompatible with Times 12pt. My
            rough guess is Helvetica 10.5pt with Times12pt, but I don't
            really want to mess around measuring x-heights. Has anyone done
            the work already ?

Finally, a word of support for dvips. I wouldn't have believed it would be
this easy to get PS fonts in TeX working under a new driver; dvips is very
easy to use: try it!

Dept. of Computing Science, | UUCP:  ..!mcsun!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!dvjm

Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND   | Little men with bits of lead are better
--

Dept. of Computing Science, | UUCP:  ..!mcsun!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!dvjm

Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND   + Necessity is the mother of strange bedfellows

2. ZOOM SUCKS

3. Converting Postscript font files for the new font selection scheme

4. Manual pages

5. Just another new font naming scheme for fonts/metrics??

6. IRIS GL on DEC equipment ?

7. How do I create a new "figure" environment for schemes in organic chemistry?

8. 5000/25 prom commands

9. wanted: info on Mittelbach-Schopf font naming scheme

10. New Font Selection & Lucida fonts

11. NFSS (New Font Selection Scheme)

12. What is the New Font Selection Scheme?

13. BBOLD.STY (for use with the New Font Selection Scheme)