How can I get an "invisible" font?

Post by Jason Alexande » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Here's my problem: I have a number of color graphics (both bmp and ps)
in a document that I need to print.  Since I don't have access to a
color laserprinter, I have to print the graphics on my Canon BJC-620.
However, I don't want to print any of the text on this machine since the
quality is not as good as what I can get on a black-and-white
laserprinter, which I do have access to.

I would _like_ to be able to use something like an "invisible" font so
that the graphics will appear in the correct place on the page, so I
could print the graphics on my color printer, print the text on the
laserprinter, and then turn the text into an "overlay" so I can take the
whole thing to a copy shop to photocopy and have the page look right.

Here are the obvious things I've tried and the problems I've found:

1. \usepackage{syntonly}.

   Doesn't work on my installation for some reason.  The text
   appears as always.

2. Add \color{white} just after \begin{document}.

   This _would_ work except for three problems.  First, footnotes
   and captions aren't affected by the color change, so they
   appear as normal (i.e., black).  Second, my copy of
   GSView doesn't recognize bitmaps, so I can't print many of
   the graphics I want to print.  If I try to use YAP to print,
   the bitmaps are drawn correctly but YAP
   doesn't recognize the \color{...} specification. :-)

Jason

Post by Axel Reicher » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Here's my problem: I have a number of color graphics (both bmp and ps)
> in a document that I need to print.  Since I don't have access to a
> color laserprinter, I have to print the graphics on my Canon BJC-620.
> However, I don't want to print any of the text on this machine since the
> quality is not as good as what I can get on a black-and-white
> laserprinter, which I do have access to.

[switch.sty, to appear soon]
\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}
\ProvidesPackage{switch}[1998/08/17 v0.9a Printing of text/graphics]
\RequirePackage{ifthen}

\DeclareOption{text}{%

%  \PassOptionsToPackage{draft}{graphicx}%
Quote:}

\DeclareOption{graphics}{%

Quote:}

\ExecuteOptions{both}
\ProcessOptions*
\RequirePackage{graphicx}
\RequirePackage{color}
\newcommand{\switchpsfragcolor}{black}
\newcommand{\switchmaintextcolor}{black}
\newcommand{\switchpapercolor}{white}

  {%
  }%
  {%

      {%

          \color{\switchpapercolor}%

          \color{\switchmaintextcolor}
        }%
      }%
      {%

          \color{\switchpsfragcolor}

          \color{\switchmaintextcolor}%
        }%
        \color{\switchpapercolor}%
      }%
  }%
\endinput
[snap]

Try

  \usepackage[text]{switch}

or

  \usepackage[graphics]{switch}

or

  \usepackage[both]{switch}

May not work with all versions of psfrag.sty or the graphics
bundle. You are on your own, here.

Happy TeXing!

--
Axel Reichert -- http://mt.mpie-duesseldorf.mpg.de/people/reich/