Storing generated fonts in tetex

Post by serafi » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:57:09

I have used TeX since it appeared on the market. Nowadays I use LaTeX.
On my home computer I have a huge amount of hard disk (due to a hd sale
in a nearby computer market), 135 GB.

When I compile my*documents dvips usually generate a lot of
fonts, mostly at the first compilation during a session.

I would like to configure teTeX on my Linux-Mandrake installation
so that the generated fonts are preserved for the future and not
regenerated at each session. Is it possible? If so - how?

/Serafim Dahl

Post by Donald Arsenea » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 06:44:53

> I would like to configure teTeX on my Linux-Mandrake installation
> so that the generated fonts are preserved for the future and not
> regenerated at each session. Is it possible? If so - how?

There is a cron job that deletes font bitmaps.

Edit /etc/cron.something tetex.cron and change the number
to something much larger (so font files last longer), e.g.

/usr/sbin/tmpwatch 8760 /usr/share/texmf/fonts/pk

Or just get rid of tetex.cron entirely.

Post by Jules Bea » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 19:16:37

> > I would like to configure teTeX on my Linux-Mandrake installation
> > so that the generated fonts are preserved for the future and not
> > regenerated at each session. Is it possible? If so - how?

> There is a cron job that deletes font bitmaps.

Another possibility is that the user that you are running dvips as does
not have write permission to the place the bitmaps are cached (which is
/var/texmf, IIRC).  Check that too, if Donald's suggestion doesn't do
the trick.

Jules

1. teTeX on MacOS 10.2 cannot generate some fonts ?

I've recently installed teTeX on a machine with MacOS 10.2.  I used
Gerben Wierda's package and it installed without protest. As far as I
can tell it generates fonts and the correct output to dvips, but with
xdvi it protests that it cannot create some fonts.  On one run, it
generated a number of cmr fonts for xdvi, then protested that it "don't
[sic] know how to create bitmap font for phvr8t."  Other fonts it
claimed not to know how to create include ptmr8t and many others.

These fonts exist in the teTeX distribution.  But the scripts called to
generate them in the appropriate resolutions for xdvi are failing. I've
used teTeX for many years on Solaris boxes and never seen problems like
this.

I'd very much appreciate suggestions of how to fix this on the MacOS
10.2 installation.  Thanks,

Ronald

2. Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 2 1/6 Ingrid Santamaria Rey Reyes

3. teTex xdvi keeps trying to generate pk that exits

4. Lint for Visual Basic

5. Problem generating pdftex fmt in SuSE 7.3 teTeX

6. Periodic loss of ISA Server connection by Win98 clients

7. How to Generate an m DPI .pk Font File to n DPI Font File?

8. SQL 229 results... are coming!

9. Generating PostScript bitmap fonts from pk fonts: how?

10. Why Mac OS users can read ps2pdf-generated PDF but not pdflatex-generated PDF?

11. P: tetex/pslatex + type1 cm fonts --> bitmap fonts

12. June 2003 TUG news: 2003/04 TeX conferences, regional TeX?, TUG store

13. store MikTeX Updates from the internet to local HD?