DOS tex(t) editor

Post by Michael Rensi » Wed, 30 Sep 1992 01:45:54

I am installing*(emTeX) on a pc, and I would like to know if there are
any good DOS text editors which can go directly to the line number generated
by*when there is an error in the .TEX file. What I'm looking for should
be a bare bones text editor so that it starts up and exits quickly for fast
corrections.

In addition, I'd like to do this in Windows, but I can't figure out how to get a
DOS program (LaTeX) in a window to start a new window. If anyone has any ideas
I'd like to hear them.

Thanks
Michael

DOS tex(t) editor

Post by Michael Sande » Thu, 08 Oct 1992 02:11:49

>Subject: DOS tex(t) editor
>Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1992 16:45:54 GMT
>I am installing*(emTeX) on a pc, and I would like to know if there are
>any good DOS text editors which can go directly to the line number generated
>by*when there is an error in the .TEX file. What I'm looking for should
>be a bare bones text editor so that it starts up and exits quickly for fast
>corrections.

I use qedit, which is small and fast, to do exactly what you
want. It has a command line switch to go to a line number.

University of Michigan                         Telephone: (313)936-0799
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1120                       FAX: (313)763-9694

DOS tex(t) editor

Post by Stefan Sinni » Thu, 08 Oct 1992 17:30:15

>>Subject: DOS tex(t) editor
>>Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1992 16:45:54 GMT
>>I am installing*(emTeX) on a pc, and I would like to know if there are
>>any good DOS text editors which can go directly to the line number generated
>>by*when there is an error in the .TEX file. What I'm looking for should
>>be a bare bones text editor so that it starts up and exits quickly for fast
>>corrections.
>I use qedit, which is small and fast, to do exactly what you
>want. It has a command line switch to go to a line number.

I use norton's "ne" which is also small and very fast and can edit up to
2 files simultaneously. Of course, this editor has the ability to go to
the line number you specify on the command line, otherwise i would not
respond to your article. :-)

--
----------------------
= Stefan Sinnige                        "To be or not to be a weirdo,

----------------------

DOS tex(t) editor

Post by Mike Schneid » Sun, 11 Oct 1992 09:48:17

I agree with QEDit suggestion.  You can map keys so that you coulds
use ALT-a for \alpha, for example.  Sure, you say you could use
\def\a{\alpha}, but that causes TeX to run slower.  Better to
use a good key map instead.
--

!!!     Assistant Manager of Systems Services      !!!
!!!            Department of Statistics            !!!

1. syntax-aware tex editor for DOS?

Is it available? It is not mentioned in FAQ. I found one for windows 95,
however, in CTAN. But I am using emtex ...

--
Huayong

WWW home pages:                           Email:

2. XM4 and RISC boxes

3. seeking Unix editor a DOS TeX user can learn to love?

4. Startup Problem

5. Dos TeX Editor Poll - Updated Results

6. A4000T vs Alpha. Hello, Escom ??

7. DOS BATCH EDITOR

8. 7010 question

9. DOS.Editor?

10. Text editors and related utilities, for DOS

11. PS/GIF/BMP pictures editor for DOS

12. Dos Editor - recommendations..

13. Good DOS Editor?