renewcounter

Post by Joel D. Youn » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am defining a document class based on report.  (A thesis style).
I need to have an option to have figures and tables and equations
reset their counters every chapter, or to keep their numbers throughout
the document.

The problem is that report.cls has allready done a

\newcounter{figure}[chapter]

If I just use \addtoreset then
figure still resets on chapter.  Is there any way to
do a renewcounter?  How would I take chapter out
of the reset list?

Joel Young

renewcounter

Post by Robin Fairbair » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am defining a document class based on report.  (A thesis style).
>I need to have an option to have figures and tables and equations
>reset their counters every chapter, or to keep their numbers throughout
>the document.

>The problem is that report.cls has allready done a

>\newcounter{figure}[chapter]

>If I just use \addtoreset then
>figure still resets on chapter.  Is there any way to
>do a renewcounter?  How would I take chapter out
>of the reset list?

There's a fragment of code to do this, for inclusion in a .class file,
on CTAN in macros/latex/contrib/other/fragments/removefr.tex

Yet another Donald Arseneau contribution.
--

U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Home page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

1. \renewcounter

  macros/latex/contrib/supported/carlisle/remreset.sty on CTAN.

removes a counter from a reset list.

Just 4. Who cares?   (-;

--
Axel Reichert -- http://mt.mpie-duesseldorf.mpg.de/people/reich/

2. elided copy constructors

3. Coping a Spool File to a PC

4. Why doesn't LaTeX2e have a \renewcounter?

5. How do I fit a 3.5" drive?

6. \renewcounter{ctr} command?

7. MhClock

8. How can I do a "renewcounter" in latex