dvips with HyperTeX support, compiled for DOS or Win 95?

dvips with HyperTeX support, compiled for DOS or Win 95?

Post by Rob Beez » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I would like to find a version of dvips that has HyperTex support, so that
I might add links into a TeX document that will finally appear in a PDF
file after the PostScript file has been massaged by Distiller.  I belive
that Rockicki's dvips version 5.60a (or greater) will fit the bill
(according to   http://xxx.lanl.gov/hypertex/#pdf).

The most recent version of this that I can find compiled for DOS or
Windows is 5.58.  Can anyone provide a pointer to a more recent version?
A reply by email would be appreciated, since our news host does not always
seem to get everything.  Thanks in advance.

Robert Beezer
Associate Professor
University of Puget Sound
Tacoma, WA 98416

Post by Robin Fairbair » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I would like to find a version of dvips that has HyperTex support, so that
>I might add links into a TeX document that will finally appear in a PDF
>file after the PostScript file has been massaged by Distiller.  I belive
>that Rockicki's dvips version 5.60a (or greater) will fit the bill
>(according to   http://xxx.lanl.gov/hypertex/#pdf).

>The most recent version of this that I can find compiled for DOS or
>Windows is 5.58.  Can anyone provide a pointer to a more recent version?
>A reply by email would be appreciated, since our news host does not always
>seem to get everything.  Thanks in advance.

The latest version of dvips is 5.66, and it does include the Hyper*
stuff (IIRC -- I did look at some file in the previous distribution
which mentioned it, but I can't find that mention in the README any
longer).

There's a pc directory in the tar file, but you're expected to build
for yourself.  Otherwise, you could wait for the PC-version packagers,
which probably won't take terribly long...
--

U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Home page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

Post by Tung-Sheng L » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>I would like to find a version of dvips that has HyperTex support, so that
>>The most recent version of this that I can find compiled for DOS or
>>Windows is 5.58.  Can anyone provide a pointer to a more recent version?
>>A reply by email would be appreciated, since our news host does not always
>>seem to get everything.  Thanks in advance.

>The latest version of dvips is 5.66, and it does include the Hyper*
>stuff (IIRC -- I did look at some file in the previous distribution
>which mentioned it, but I can't find that mention in the README any
>longer).

>There's a pc directory in the tar file, but you're expected to build
>for yourself.  Otherwise, you could wait for the PC-version packagers,
>which probably won't take terribly long...

I tried to compile the source files by emx 0.9c, but it didn't work. The
makefile for emx is version 0.8h. Can anybody modify that emx makefile such
that it works under latest version of emx (0.9c)?

Tung-Sheng Lin
Communication Sciences Institute
Department of Electrical Engineering -- Systems
University of Southern California

dvips with HyperTeX support, compiled for DOS or Win 95?

Post by Rolf Nieprasch » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I tried to compile the source files by emx 0.9c, but it didn't work. The
> makefile for emx is version 0.8h. Can anybody modify that emx makefile such
> that it works under latest version of emx (0.9c)?

> Tung-Sheng Lin

Look at the DOS and OS/2 port of dvips 5.58 from Guido Sawade at

CTAN:/tex-archive/systems/msdos/dviware/dvips/dvips558.pc/

May be that the makefile is correct in the package and you can take it
for the new version...

                                        ...Rolf

      .----------------------------------------------------.
      | Rolf Niepraschk                                    |
      | Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt              |
      | Abbestr. 2-12                                      |
      | D-10587 Berlin, Germany                            |
      | Tel.:     ++49-30-3481-316, Fax.: ++49-30-3481-490 |

      `----------------------------------------------------'

dvips with HyperTeX support, compiled for DOS or Win 95?

Post by Andrey Slepuhi » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Fairbairns)

> >>I would like to find a version of dvips that has HyperTex support,
so that

> >>The most recent version of this that I can find compiled for DOS or
> >>Windows is 5.58.  Can anyone provide a pointer to a more recent
version?
> >>A reply by email would be appreciated, since our news host does not
always
> >>seem to get everything.  Thanks in advance.

> >The latest version of dvips is 5.66, and it does include the Hyper*
> >stuff (IIRC -- I did look at some file in the previous distribution
> >which mentioned it, but I can't find that mention in the README any
> >longer).

> >There's a pc directory in the tar file, but you're expected to build
> >for yourself.  Otherwise, you could wait for the PC-version
packagers,
> >which probably won't take terribly long...

> I tried to compile the source files by emx 0.9c, but it didn't work.
The
> makefile for emx is version 0.8h. Can anybody modify that emx makefile
such
> that it works under latest version of emx (0.9c)?

> Tung-Sheng Lin

I just had compiled dvips v5.66 under Cygnus GNU-Win32 port. It works,
but it uses Unix-style environment. So, we have two possible solutions
of this
problem:
1) We can try to compile dvips by slightly changing settings for emx,
but who
   really needs for ugly DOS-style paths, etc.?
2) We can easy tune environment variables and config files for
Unix-style paths,
   but we will have troubles with appropriate viewer. I think that
porting xdvi
   to Win32 platform is not one-minute task. Moreover, it needs serious
   changes (user interface, direct support of scalable typefaces, etc.).
   So, does exist any project to write more powerful and portable dvi
viewer?

Andrey Slepuhin,
Moscow State University

Post by Sebastian Rah » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

   I just had compiled dvips v5.66 under Cygnus GNU-Win32 port. It works,
   but it uses Unix-style environment. So, we have two possible
the next release of the TeX Live CD-ROM will have Frabrice Popineau's
port of web2c 7.0 for Windows 95/NT, all present and correct.

      but we will have troubles with appropriate viewer. I think that
   porting xdvi
 to Win32 platform is not one-minute task. Moreover, it needs serious
  changes (user interface, direct support of scalable typefaces, etc.).
      So, does exist any project to write more powerful and portable dvi
   viewer?
yes, Fabrice is working on one/

sebastian

Post by Pedro J. Aphal » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Fairbairns)

> > >The latest version of dvips is 5.66, and it does include the Hyper*
> > >stuff (IIRC -- I did look at some file in the previous distribution
> > >which mentioned it, but I can't find that mention in the README any
> > >longer).

> > >There's a pc directory in the tar file, but you're expected to
> build
> > >for yourself.  Otherwise, you could wait for the PC-version
> packagers,
> > >which probably won't take terribly long...

MikTeX 6.0 has been available for a couple of days in CTAN. It includes
dvips 5.66 for Win32. (I haven't tried it yet, but version 5.0 works
very smoothly, both under Windows 95 and NT 4.0).

I hope this helps,

Pedro.

--

==================================================0=============
 Pedro J. Aphalo

 http://cc.joensuu.fi/~aphalo/                      ,,,^..^,,,

1. Long File names in Win 95 & dvips

I am trying to convert a dvi file that includes a .PS file that has a long
filename.  Does anyone know how to do this under windows95 in ados box.

Thanks

2. :assigning data to Handle

3. TeX Live 3 - and Win 95

4. Scanning forms with handwritten areas.

5. gTeX and Win 95

6. Bug and Grid

7. Latex for Win 95

8. APTIVA Users Check This Out