question`

Post by Suresh Uppa » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 05:56:11

Dear all,
I have the following question:
I have a long title for my thesis which takes about 4 lines. I used \huge
and \bf (or \textbf). But the output is not good looking.
I have used the following script:
\being{center}
\textbf{\Huge{In-Situ detection and assessment of low velocity
impact-induced damage in composite materials using developed fibre
optics sensor}}
\end{center}
The distance between the first and the second line is lesser than the
distance*creates between second and third or third and fouth line...

Can anyone suggest anything.

Regards
suresh

question`

Post by Robin Fairbair » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 07:23:33

>I have a long title for my thesis which takes about 4 lines. I used \huge
>and \bf (or \textbf). But the output is not good looking.
>I have used the following script:
>\being{center}
>\textbf{\Huge{In-Situ detection and assessment of low velocity
>impact-induced damage in composite materials using developed fibre
>optics sensor}}
>\end{center}
>The distance between the first and the second line is lesser than the
>distance*creates between second and third or third and fouth line...

this is because you close the enclosing group before the paragraph
ends.  the center environment provides the paragraph end.

the problem probably arises because of your misunderstanding of how
\Huge works -- it doesn't take an argument, it's a modal command.

try

\begin{center}
  \Huge
  \textbf{In-Situ detection and assessment of low velocity
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge -- rf10 at cam dot ac dot uk

question`

Post by Donald Arsenea » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 07:34:16

> \being{center}
> \textbf{\Huge{In-Situ detection and assessment of low velocity
> impact-induced damage in composite materials using developed fibre
> optics sensor}}
> \end{center}

\being{center}
\Huge
% perhaps \raggedright too

Post by Peter Flyn » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 08:33:11

> Dear all,
> I have the following question:
> I have a long title for my thesis which takes about 4 lines. I used \huge
> and \bf (or \textbf). But the output is not good looking.
> I have used the following script:
> \being{center}
> \textbf{\Huge{In-Situ detection and assessment of low velocity
> impact-induced damage in composite materials using developed fibre
> optics sensor}}
> \end{center}
> The distance between the first and the second line is lesser than the
> distance*creates between second and third or third and fouth line...

> Can anyone suggest anything.

Why make life so difficult?

\title{\bfseries In-Situ detection and assessment\\of low velocity
impact-induced damage\\in composite materials\\using developed fibre
optics sensor}

///Peter

1. Thanks for Bibliography question, \& one more question\ldots

Thanks very much to all those who answered my bibliography non-question!

and the uses of \makeatletter and \makeatother.

Now, here's what I hope will be the last question I have for a little while.

A question about spelling checkers.

I'm trying to have a look around to see what sort of LaTeX/TeX compatible
spelling checkers there are. I'm looking for something which has a LARGE
dictionary, and can handle multi-language situations.
I particular, I'm looking for something that will handle German and
English either interchangeably, or at the same time.

I have heard of amSPELL for the PC, and ispell for unix systems.
Unfortunately, I'm on a VAX VMS platform right now.
I am using a piece of software called ``SPELL''.
It has a very nice, large dictionary, and a very nice correction
utility. Unfortunately, it isn't supported by the original author
anymore, it doesn't have any German in it, doesn't have a very flexible
system by which modifications can be made, and it doesn't handle things
like \"{u} very well.

So, right now, I'm looking for something like ispell that will run on
VAX VMS. I'd really like to use this program, since it seems to
enjoy a lot of development work, but I've never seen a VMS version...

An comments would be appreciated!
I'll hunt down any suggestions to the bitter end!

Thomas Beuthe

2. Can someone send me links to online CLP certification tests

3. emtex questions: pxl/pk; s/r and q .tmf question

4. Fullscreen DOS app called from windows app

5. AMSLaTeX question and not-really-TeX question

6. Is ACO a standard part of NI-1?

7. Poster Question ... fonts Question ??

8. Event ID 201, License Service, No license was available for user domain\server$ using product SMBServer 5.0

9. Printer question, and a DVI question

10. Figure question and Table Question - Please help

11. Avoiding questions / A question

12. Question on "supertabular"...

13. ltx2x print control question