Installing ConTeXt on MikTeX: poolsize error

Installing ConTeXt on MikTeX: poolsize error

Post by Gar » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 08:25:04

I'm trying to use ConTeXt.  I have an up to date MikTeX.

If I run texexec test.tex, I get an error that the default format
cannot be found.

OK, so I need to create the format files?

If I grok the docs, I'm suppposed to

texexec --make

but this returns:  Need to increase POOLSIZE

So... what should I do?  I'm thinking I screwed something us
somewhere, because MikTeX usually doesn't need much tweaking.  Is
there an environment variable or something to add to path?

tia
gary

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 08:37:26

> I'm trying to use ConTeXt.  I have an up to date MikTeX.

> If I run texexec test.tex, I get an error that the default format
> cannot be found.

> OK, so I need to create the format files?

> If I grok the docs, I'm suppposed to

> texexec --make

> but this returns:  Need to increase POOLSIZE

> So... what should I do?  I'm thinking I screwed something us
> somewhere, because MikTeX usually doesn't need much tweaking.  Is
> there an environment variable or something to add to path?

Find your miktex.ini, possibly create a local copy (if you have a
local texmf tree), and add

poolsize=1000000

in the ConTeXt section.

Looks like this is gonna become a FAQ. I'll post a bugreport on the
MiKTeX fora.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "I'll have my daddy buy it for me")

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:00:59

> poolsize=1000000

Make it pool_size rather.

And also add

write18=enabled

in that same section, so you'll be able to process embedded metapost
directly.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "I'll have my daddy buy it for me")

Installing ConTeXt on MikTeX: poolsize error

Post by Gary Paje » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:42:52

Ok.  I hate to be dense, but I've done this and it didn't make any
difference.
Do I have to tell something I've made a change? or run something to effect
the change?

thanks again,
gary

> > poolsize=1000000

> Make it pool_size rather.

> And also add

> write18=enabled

> in that same section, so you'll be able to process embedded metapost
> directly.

> --
> Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

> "Da grande lotter per la pace"
> "A me me la compra il mio babbo"
> (Altan)
> ("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
>  "I'll have my daddy buy it for me")

Installing ConTeXt on MikTeX: poolsize error

Post by Gary Paje » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:07:15

Got it:
pool_size=1000000
goes in the [pdfetex] section.  Formats are created.  I processed my first
conTeXt file.  So far it works.

Thanks, Giuseppe.
May your camel spit dates.

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 23:40:23

> Got it:
> pool_size=1000000
> goes in the [pdfetex] section.  Formats are created.  I processed my first
> conTeXt file.  So far it works.

> Thanks, Giuseppe.

You're welcome, bubt you should really put it in the [ConTeXt]
section ... oh wait, check one more thing: does your texexec.ini have
a line like:

for  miktex  set  TeXPassString     to  --alias=context

?

Quote:> May your camel spit dates.

LOL. Please not, it's already difficult enough to find a date even
without my camel spitting! ;)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "I'll have my daddy buy it for me")

Installing ConTeXt on MikTeX: poolsize error

Post by Gary Paje » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:36:29

Yes, texexec.ini has that line.
At the moment, I have
pool_size=1000000
in both the [ConTeXt] and the [pdfeTeX] sections.
if it's in the [ConTeXt] section only, it doesn't seem to work.
I didn't try it in the [pdfeTeX] section only.

At this point this seems to be an academic question because things appear to
work.  However, I'm more than happy to persue this further if you think
there's some value in sorting things out.

May your dates not spit,
Gary

Post by Giuseppe Bilott » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 05:43:16

> Yes, texexec.ini has that line.
> At the moment, I have
> pool_size=1000000
> in both the [ConTeXt] and the [pdfeTeX] sections.
> if it's in the [ConTeXt] section only, it doesn't seem to work.
> I didn't try it in the [pdfeTeX] section only.

> At this point this seems to be an academic question because things appear to
> work.  However, I'm more than happy to persue this further if you think
> there's some value in sorting things out.

Hm. I just noticed that I too have it in both sections. Oh well. It's
probably not that important, as long as having all pdfeTeX based
formats using 1000000 for pool_space doesn't disturb you.

Quote:> May your dates not spit,

That's better :)