PageDraw and Windows NT

Post by Chris Swoy » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have downloaded PageDraw, which was mentioned in a recent posting,
as well as Acrobat Reader 2.0 (from Piet's software page). The
directions for the combination of the two say I need to alter a line
in c:\windows\atm.ini (changing atm=off to atm=on). I am running
Windows NT 4.0 instead of windows95, but the file atm.ini exists in
winnt and I made the change. After rebooting (as required) both
acrobat 2.0 and PageDraw still complain that they cannot find Adobe
Type Manager. Does anybody know if additional contortions are required
by windows nt? Or is there something else I still need to do? Any help
on this is much appreciated. I like the looks of PageDraw, but badly
need to be able to insert text in figures.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Swoyer
--

PageDraw and Windows NT

Post by Young Ry » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I have downloaded PageDraw, which was mentioned in a recent posting,
>as well as Acrobat Reader 2.0 (from Piet's software page). The
>directions for the combination of the two say I need to alter a line
>in c:\windows\atm.ini (changing atm=off to atm=on). I am running
>Windows NT 4.0 instead of windows95, but the file atm.ini exists in
>winnt and I made the change. After rebooting (as required) both
>acrobat 2.0 and PageDraw still complain that they cannot find Adobe
>Type Manager. Does anybody know if additional contortions are required
>by windows nt? Or is there something else I still need to do? Any help
>on this is much appreciated. I like the looks of PageDraw, but badly
>need to be able to insert text in figures.

Must get (I mean buy) Adobe Type Manager (ATM) for NT. ATM for Win 31 or 95
does not run under NT.

Young

PageDraw and Windows NT

Post by Rajee » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >I have downloaded PageDraw, which was mentioned in a recent posting,
> >as well as Acrobat Reader 2.0 (from Piet's software page). The
> >directions for the combination of the two say I need to alter a line
> >in c:\windows\atm.ini (changing atm=off to atm=on). I am running
> >Windows NT 4.0 instead of windows95, but the file atm.ini exists in
> >winnt and I made the change. After rebooting (as required) both
> >acrobat 2.0 and PageDraw still complain that they cannot find Adobe
> >Type Manager. Does anybody know if additional contortions are required
> >by windows nt? Or is there something else I still need to do? Any help
> >on this is much appreciated. I like the looks of PageDraw, but badly
> >need to be able to insert text in figures.

> Must get (I mean buy) Adobe Type Manager (ATM) for NT. ATM for Win 31 or 95
> does not run under NT.

Unfortunately Mayura Draw (previously PageDraw) cannot use ATM
for Windows NT. This is because ATM for NT does not provide the
same services as ATM for Win 95.

The next version of Mayura Draw will have support for TrueType
fonts. TrueType fonts will be converted to Type 42 or Type 3
PostScript fonts when you save in EPS format.

This new version will become available in about a month.

PageDraw and Windows NT

Post by Berthold K.P. Ho » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have downloaded PageDraw, which was mentioned in a recent posting,
> as well as Acrobat Reader 2.0 (from Piet's software page). The
> directions for the combination of the two say I need to alter a line
> in c:\windows\atm.ini (changing atm=off to atm=on). I am running
> Windows NT 4.0 instead of windows95, but the file atm.ini exists in
> winnt and I made the change. After rebooting (as required) both
> acrobat 2.0 and PageDraw still complain that they cannot find Adobe
> Type Manager. Does anybody know if additional contortions are required
> by windows nt? Or is there something else I still need to do? Any help
> on this is much appreciated. I like the looks of PageDraw, but badly
> need to be able to insert text in figures.

The old ATM for Windows 3.1 will not run in Windows NT.
You need ATM Deluxe for NT 4.0 --- see http://www.adobe.com

Or, you can install Type 1 fonts in PFB/PFM format by dragging the PFM
file to the `fonts' folder (typically c:\winnt\fonts).  The PFB files
will then be automatically converted to TrueType format.

The rendering will not be as good as in ATM, but you don't have to get
the new ATM.  The conversion is done by t1install.dll which is
somewhat buggy.  You can pick up a somewhat improved version on
http://www.YandY.com under `Downloadable Support Files'.

--

Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
DISCLAIMER: respondent has connection with Y&Y