cyls > 1024 problem.

Post by Roberts Ch » Tue, 13 Dec 1994 07:29:05

I believe that I have seen this problem addressed sometime earlier
and I was wondering if anyone could give me some help.  I have a
Seagate 1GB drive and during Linux installation, it gives an error
message like '1423 > 1024 cylinders' .  If this problem is addressed
in the FAQ, could someone please point me to where it (the FAQ) is?
Thanks in advance.

                                                                      Chad
                                        All in all is all we are. -Nirvana

cyls > 1024 problem.

Post by Joe Slo » Tue, 13 Dec 1994 12:15:14

>I believe that I have seen this problem addressed sometime earlier
>and I was wondering if anyone could give me some help.  I have a
>Seagate 1GB drive and during Linux installation, it gives an error
>message like '1423 > 1024 cylinders' .  If this problem is addressed
>in the FAQ, could someone please point me to where it (the FAQ) is?
>Thanks in advance.

The FAQs can all be found at sunsite.unc.edu. I think in pub/Linux/doc...

The warning about "some software" mainly refers to dos/windoze...
The important point is that, when linux is booting, it looks to the
p.c. BIOS for hard disk geometry information. The BIOS cannot handle
cyls > 1023, so for this reason, the partition from which linux
boots must be located entirely under the 1024 mark. Once linux is up
and running, it can find the geometry for itself, and the cylinder
limitation diasppears; Therefore, the remaining linux partitions can
be located anywhere.

I have installed linux on several of these > 1024 cyl drives without
any difficulties whatsoever, apart from the annoying warning...

--

 A linux machine! because a 486    / ACCELERATE your Windoze NT box?
 is a terrible thing to waste!     / -9.8 m/s^2 works quite well!!!

1. >1024 cyl, v1.1.18, boot problems

        Okay, The install went okay, now to the fun part:

        Using the boot disk that it made AFTER the install, it does'nt recognize the drive, I have a 1Gig (2099cyl,16hd,63sec)
and the error that comes up,

        [st506] unable to access drive /dev/hda
                (506 cyl, 64 hd, 16 sec]

        and some other errors that lead to the big extended registers display and halting.

        If I use the sbpcd boot disk, and enter

        boot: mount root=/dev/hda2 hd=2099,16,63

        It does go in, but gives me errors referencing that "hda2" is an unknown parameter. No big deal, I get in, but it tells me
the version of UMSDOS is v0.2, and the FTAPE is for UMSDOS v0.3.  Soooo, I recompile the whole kernel, and make a boot disk
according to the howto's and faqs, it gets to the point where I get the drive geometry errors.

        I've been told to add      append="hd=2099,16,63"   to the lilo stanza somewhere, but when I try to use the liloconfig
utility, it gives me an error when it tries to write to the floppy.

        Where exactly on the boot floppy can I tell it that the drive is   hd=2099,16,63   and have lilo work properly???

        Everything else works fine once I get in, this is the only problem I'm having now.  The docs, faqs, howto's have been
great, but I've yet to get this boot thing taken care of.

        Thanks

2. /etc/magic for XWD

3. x86 problem with > 1024 cyl disks?

4. Looking for: (S)RPMS for XFree86 4.x that will work under RH 5.2

5. Linux install problems > 1024 cyl hd...

6. mount: error at login

7. hd params, >1024 cyl, boot disk problem

8. konqueror has high cpu usage in idle state

9. Help needed with PANIC message (>1024 cyls problems?)

10. hd params, >1024 cyl, boot problems

11. IDE cyls>1024, DOS + Linux problems

12. cyl > 1024

13. lilo not working on my old 486 and disk geo > 1024 cyl