archie: archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

archie: archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

Post by Andrew_R._Mi » Wed, 19 Oct 1994 10:34:53

I just downloaded archie and gopher binaries from sunsite.  Gopher
seems fine but my archie queries always come back with:

archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

Where do I start looking to correct this problem?

Thanks.
Andrew Mitz, Biomedical Eng., National Institutes | Opinions are mine alone

archie: archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

Post by Marc Fraio » Thu, 20 Oct 1994 04:26:34

Quote:>I just downloaded archie and gopher binaries from sunsite.  Gopher
>seems fine but my archie queries always come back with:

>archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

>Where do I start looking to correct this problem?

I have this problem too.  It affects both archie and xarchie.  They
both used to work, but broke around 1.1.53, and are still broken in
1.1.54.  They broke once before, many kernels ago, and then started
working again.  Not sure what the problem is, but it seems to have
something to do with the TCP/IP code in the kernel.

---
Marc Fraioli          | "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "

Post by Rob Anders » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 06:20:13

>>I just downloaded archie and gopher binaries from sunsite.  Gopher
>>seems fine but my archie queries always come back with:

>>archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

>>Where do I start looking to correct this problem?

>I have this problem too.  It affects both archie and xarchie.  They
>both used to work, but broke around 1.1.53, and are still broken in
>1.1.54.  They broke once before, many kernels ago, and then started
>working again.  Not sure what the problem is, but it seems to have
>something to do with the TCP/IP code in the kernel.

I have had this problem as well, but I don't think it has to do with
the kernel networking code. Others and I have compiled and run the archie
program on serveral different UNIX's, (Linux, NeXT, AIX, SunOS) and it gives
the dirsend error quite often. Occasionally it does work though.

The only time I've used xarchie was on a Solaris machine, and never had
a problem with it. (One of the few things that actually work right? :) )

If anyone knows of a working archie program for Linux, please post about
it. I'm sure there are tons of people who would like it.

-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Rob Anderson                                       "The truth is out there"

-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-

Post by Alan C » Sat, 22 Oct 1994 23:45:33

>I just downloaded archie and gopher binaries from sunsite.  Gopher
>seems fine but my archie queries always come back with:

>archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

>Where do I start looking to correct this problem?

Make sure your archie client is up to date. Also make sure your site
doesn't firewall UDP.

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

archie: archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

Post by John Got » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 15:43:11

It's a problem at archie.sura.net.  Telnet there and log in as archie and
you'll see.  They are working on fixing the problems there.

--

GE -d+ H s+: g-- p? !au a-- w+ v C++++ UL++++ P+>++ L++ 3- E--- N+++ K- !W M--
 V-- -po+(---) Y+ t+ 5 j+ R- G? tv b+ D B- e+ u--- h f+ r n- y? <Linux rules!>

Post by Sebastian W. Bun » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 16:44:04

: >>seems fine but my archie queries always come back with:
: >>
: >>archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)
: >>
: >I have this problem too.  It affects both archie and xarchie.  They

: program on serveral different UNIX's, (Linux, NeXT, AIX, SunOS) and it gives
: the dirsend error quite often. Occasionally it does work though.

: If anyone knows of a working archie program for Linux, please post about
: it. I'm sure there are tons of people who would like it.

I'm using both archie (V 1.4.1) and xarchie (the latest binary from
sunsite); my kernel version is 1.1.24; from time to time I'm getting
this timeout message, but generally it's working really fine !!
I think the reason is either a too high network traffic on the local net
or too many users accessing the archie host (sometimes it helps
to switch to another archie server).
I don't think it has any to do w/ the network code in the kernel,
because I've seen this quite often in the dos versions, too
(i.e. FTP's TCP/IP and the binary of archie for that).

One should check the archie hostslist for the closest archie host:

telnet to archie.sura.net (my host is archie.univie.ac.at)
login w/ archie and search for "servers".

Cheers, Sebastian

PS I've tried this minutes to make a search for archie:
2 times I've got the time out from the vienna server,
then I used archie.unipi.it and after 1 time out I got
a bunch of response...
;-)
--

voice:                   FAX:
+43-1-71155260           +43-1-7149110

1. archie: archie failed: Timed out (dirsend)

Has anyone seen this error intermittantly from archie? I'm using
Client version 1.3.2 with SLS 1.1

Your help is appreciated!!

Steve

  =  Sure, come on down, but we're in Jamaica, NY, not the Carribean! =
  =====         THE SPACE BELOW LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK          =====

2. link SunOS4.1 libs with Solaris2.x objects

3. archie-1.4.1 binary uploaded

4. Multitech dsvd MT2834zpw config prob

5. Looking for PD archie server

6. SLIP....urgently need help

7. Slackware question re irc, archie, wais, gopher etc.

8. I use Linux at home

9. Does anyone have an archie client on linux ?

10. How to reset archie default server in ports sources????

11. Help: ARCHIE 214MH Monitor specs

12. ARCHIE for FAX

13. Is there any news archie for this newsgroup?