Mounting a Sun SCSI 1/4" tape drive

Post by Bruce Alan Fras » Wed, 27 Apr 1994 23:13:28

Greetings,
I have a 1/4" SCSI tape drive attached to a Sparc 2 workstation that is
accessed as /dev/rst0 on the machine.  I would like to be able to read and
write to that tape drive from my Linux machines for loading and unloading
work related files.  I added /dev/rst0 to the /etc/exports file and tried
mounting the device at two different points.  I made a directory /dev/rst0
and was able to mount it successfully whereupon it changed to a character
device i.e. crw-rw-rw- , Major device # 10, Minor # 0 which all seems well and good so far since this is the same is it appears on the sun.

However, when I try to access it using tar tvf /dev/rst0 I get the following
error: tar: read error on /dev/rst0 : Invalid argument

Any ideas on how to clear up this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

1. SCSI Tape "Unable to get major 9 for SCSI Tapes"

When my system starts I get this message:

Unable to get major 9 for SCSI Tapes

I have a Pentium 120, NCR 53c825 PCI SCSI controllor and Exabyte 8mm
tape drive.
I'm running Red Hat (4.1) Linux 2.027 and all the correct devices with
major
nine are in the /dev directory.

Any ideas? I've been working hours on this one.

Thank you.

--
---------------------------------------
Remove *NOSPAM* to reply.

2. Booing problem with LinuxPPC 4.0

3. SCSI Tape Drive Not Recognized - "Termination" Problem?

4. Force Users to Change password

5. SCSI Tape drive "I/O error when reading"

6. electric fence equivelant for c++?

7. SCSI Tape Drive prob: mt says "No such device"

8. Apache 1.1.1 + SSL

9. scsi tape drive and "dump"

10. SCSI Tape Drive Not Recognized - "Termination" Problem?

11. SCSI Tape Drive reading "other" UNIX

12. SCSI Tape Drive prob: mt says "No such device"

13. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI TAPE DRIVE AND SCSI TAPE ?