Connect Mac and Linux using SLIP?

Post by Laurence Ch » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 03:47:31

Hi there,

I got a problem to connect mac and linux using SLIP.
I use a serial cable to connect both ends.
Using InterSLIP on mac and sliplogin on linux.

My problem is how can I make a SLIP connection from mac to linux?

Can anyone help me...

Thanks in advance.

Laurence.

Post by Michael Wi » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 10:45:37

: Hi there,

: I got a problem to connect mac and linux using SLIP.
: I use a serial cable to connect both ends.
: Using InterSLIP on mac and sliplogin on linux.
: My problem is how can I make a SLIP connection from mac to linux?
: Can anyone help me...

: Thanks in advance.
: Laurence.

I don't know how detailed you want to get, I am using a DNS
to keep track of which machines I let use slip to login
to my net, ie. static ip addresses.  I beleive you can get
by with just adding the machines to your hosts file.
Most if not all of this is covered in the Network-Admin-Guide
so I'm just going to cover the Mac side.

For starters, you'll need MacTCP on the mac side, it is included
with system 7.5 or can be bought from apple.

With InterSLIP and MacTCP both installed, you can choose
InterSLIP as the connection mode in MacTCP. I have not used
dynamic ip addressing so I don't know how to set that up in
MacTCP, but you do need to set-up the domain address and
the machine address for the mac. If you are not ever going
to be connecting to the rest of the internet, you can
make up an ip address but if possible, you should have
the Mac's ip address assigned by who ever assigned you
linux address.

After that is done, you set-up InterSlip for a direct conection
to the linux box or you could set it up for dial in. I always
use dial in, but think that you'll need a null modem between
the two machines.  The InterSLIP docs should cover the rest.

   / Mike Wing             | A common mistake people make when trying to   \
  / Cal State Fullerton    | design something completely fool proof is to   \

1. connecting macs and pc's using linux

In my lab I have both macs and pc's that I would like to be able to
communicate better.  Windows NT server would facilitate this, but I would
prefer to use linux.  All of the computers have ethernet connections and IP
addresses.  The pc's are running windows for workgroups.

Does anyone know a way that I can do the following:

a) Mount all of the mac and pc drives on the linux server

b) Allow all computers to read the drives on the linux server

c) Allow my pc's access to Postscript printers on the EtherTalk network.

Thanks,

Dustin

2. Linux FTP question

3. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

4. Debian 3.0 Woody

5. Can one connect to remote SLIP server using PPP ?

6. Yggdrasil/PAS16/SCSI HELP!

7. mac->linux - slip works, ppp bombs?

8. TERM settings

9. Linux to Linux using SLIP?

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. connecting a linux pc and an apple mac

12. Connecting Linux to a Mac network

13. Help with connecting Linux, 95/NT, Macs for file sharing