IBM Token Ring skeleton driver available

IBM Token Ring skeleton driver available

Post by martin von wedd » Tue, 28 Jun 1994 00:28:55

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.development ]
[ Author was Mark Swanson ]
[ Posted on 24 Jun 1994 18:24:32 GMT ]

Awhile back - (long) I wrote an IBM Token Ring device
driver capable of working with ANY IBM token ring card
MCA or otherwise (if Linux was going to work on MCA...)
The IBM Token Ring Technical Reference Manual is a frustrating nightmare
as an information source.  Most of the information is there.  And for any of
you who've written a driver, you know that most doesn't cut it.  Here's what you're
up against if you try this:

Cards WILL return undocumented values.
The manual gives you the ports to poke at, but doesn't tell you what has to be set
        up first.
Incomplete information.

The drivers I wrote link into the kernel (99.14 I think?).  Ifconfig tok0 142.212.48.58
etc.. works.. you can ifconfg tok0 down/up, etc.

ring.  Perhaps you can get further than I.  Maybe I quit to early but didn't have the
time to hack away endlessly.  If you get it working, I'd be glad to help out through
the end of the project.

If you want my code, post or mail and I'll clean it up to 1.1.18 - if things haven't
changed too much (cringe).
If I haven't responded in 1 day mail again as my silly pop reader (perl-pop1.0) started
tacking all incoming messages onto one big file lately.  Strange.
L8r.

1. token ring token ring token ring

I would advice either going to a more recent kernel, or back to 1.2.x,
and applying the TR patch.  As far as I can tell, the built-in TR support
in 1.3 was broken early on, and not fixed until very recently.

I had no end of problems - normally showing as booting and init'ing the
TR card ok, could ping ok, but any more then that (such as telnet or ftp,
either into or out of the Linux machine) gave a kernel panic.

Compiled up 1.3.72 the other day and it's been running perfectly ever
since.  I'm using a Madge Straight Blue right now but have also used
some older IBM 4/16 cards.

Leonard

2. boot disk

3. TOKEN RING? (unfortunately *IBM* Token Ring)

4. Mouse works in setup but not at runtime

5. Token Ring patches/drivers available?

6. expand SRC.

7. Token Ring drivers available?

8. Solaris 2.5.1 intermittant tcp non-respose

9. IBM PCI Token Ring driver

10. Driver for IBM pcmcia token ring card

11. HELP !!! need IBM PCI Token Ring Driver

12. Non-Ibm Token-ring cards drivers

13. IBM Auto 16/4 Token Ring driver, Re: (no subject)