Packard Bell 586 CDROM & SLIP setup guidance

Packard Bell 586 CDROM & SLIP setup guidance

Post by Tom Bodi » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 01:08:00

Hello
        I bought the latest and greatest Packard Bell Multimedia machune for christmas

It has a mitsubishi 536-x CDROM drive a ps/2 mouse, A 1440 Baud modem, and 8 Megs of memory all of which work just fine
under MSDOG.  I'd like to run linux so I can use it as an Xserver at home over slip, which
I know will be slow, but I want to try.

I got the slackware distribution two weeks ago from sunsite.unc.edu and tried to install it.

I haven't had a lot of time to give to it but here is my problem.

Although the Linux kernal on the bootdisk will recognize my CD-ROM albeit with warnings

I can't get the running kernal to recognize it regardless of which driver I choose while
"make config" ing the kernal. Also I get some sort of inet error at start-up which I believe
means that when I get around to trying slip, it won't work. Has anyone made linux 1.1.59 run on
This Packard-Bell model? Would you share your experience with me?

---
                        Regards Tom Bodine
# Hatred and bitterness can never cure the disease of fear, only love
# can do that.   (Martin Luther King Jr.)

1. Setup Q: What mouse for Packard Bell Synera 307?

I am attempting to use RedHat Linux 4.1 w/ Metro-X.
X comes up but no mouse action!

I have tried ps-2, MS mouse, keyboard mouse (none of the others make sense)
when using configX and still do not have a mouse.

This mouse is a serial mouse (I think) and is driven by the motherboard (as is
the keyboard, printer, monitor,.. (Cirrus 5429/30/34 chip).

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks in Advance!

2. mod_auth_mysql breaks normal mod_auth operations in Apache 1.3

3. PS/2 mouse setup for Packard Bell?

4. PCI grpahics cards: ATI vs. #9

5. Packard Bell and modem setup

6. PPP connection boots the worstation!!

7. setup for packard bell statesman

8. Bridge / "Transparent" Firewall

9. PCMCIA setup for 3c589 network card on Packard Bell laptop

10. Packard Bell and modem setup

11. ConfigXF86 & Packard Bell's

12. Xfree86 & Packard Bell Monitor

13. Evergreen 586 &Linux