Smail bind driver - is defer_no_connect working?

Smail bind driver - is defer_no_connect working?

Post by Eugene Cross » Wed, 15 Dec 1993 05:35:30

Please could any kind soul enlighten me.  I want to configure Smail
to use BIND and SMTP when DNS is accessible, and smarthost (via uucp)
when it is not.  Reading man page shows that the "defer_no_connect"
boolean attribute should solve the problem:

[...quote on...]
.PP
The following attributes vary the behavior of the
.B bind
driver:
.BD defer_no_connect boolean
If this boolean attribute is set, then we must be able to connect to
the server.  If attempts to connect to the server fail, then routing
is retried at a later time, on the assumption that the nameserver is
only down temporarily.  If this attribute is not set, then a failure
to connect to the server will cause the router to be ignored.  This
allows a bind router to be optional based on whether or not the server
exists.

NOTE:  This attribute is set by default.
[...quote off...]

So, I put the following into the "routers" file:

bind:          driver=bind,transport=smtp;
               -defer_no_connect

but this does not help! Regardless of the defer_no_connect value, the
message is put into the retry queue, instead of being routed by other
routers.  And the following is in the logfile:

deferred: (ERR_164) router bind: BIND server failure: Nameserver: \
Server failure: Connection refused

Any suggestions?

Eugene

Post by Louis Lagendi » Thu, 16 Dec 1993 23:39:29

>Please could any kind soul enlighten me.  I want to configure Smail
>to use BIND and SMTP when DNS is accessible, and smarthost (via uucp)
>when it is not.  Reading man page shows that the "defer_no_connect"
>boolean attribute should solve the problem:

>[...quote on...]
>.PP
>The following attributes vary the behavior of the
>.B bind
>driver:
>.BD defer_no_connect boolean
>If this boolean attribute is set, then we must be able to connect to
>the server.  If attempts to connect to the server fail, then routing
>is retried at a later time, on the assumption that the nameserver is

So, if you use defer_no_connect, the mail will be queued.

Quote:>only down temporarily.  If this attribute is not set, then a failure
>to connect to the server will cause the router to be ignored.  This
>allows a bind router to be optional based on whether or not the server
>exists.

>NOTE:  This attribute is set by default.
>[...quote off...]

>So, I put the following into the "routers" file:

>bind:          driver=bind,transport=smtp;
>               -defer_no_connect

I don't
have access to my docs of sail here, but should you not simply
leave the option out, so that the router is ignored. Or does the
syntax as you use it here mean that you turn the option off?

>but this does not help! Regardless of the defer_no_connect value, the
>message is put into the retry queue, instead of being routed by other
>routers.  And the following is in the logfile:

>deferred: (ERR_164) router bind: BIND server failure: Nameserver: \
>Server failure: Connection refused

>Any suggestions?

>Eugene

Regards, Louis