Permissions on boot.env?

Post by Tadeusz Ba » Thu, 14 Oct 1993 03:08:14

Quote:>I installed bootutils-0.1.tar.gz without any significant problems, but now
>on boot I get the message
>cannot open /etc/boot.env

I get the same message. I have asked David Lesher (the author of bootutil
tutorial) and this is a part of his answer:

Quote:>> know, is a file boot.env important, does Linux need it?
>No. it's one of those things we put in there to confuse people.  ;-}
>Ignore it -- mine does the same thing.

So, I hope everything is OK.

Tadeusz Bak
Cracow, Poland

1. e2fsck on read-only root device and boot.env

I am following several postings here on how to get a clean e2fsck mount
on the root device:
 1. mount /dev/hda1 read-only by rdev -R /zImage 1
 2. do e2fsck -a -v /dev/hda1 to verify the root device
 3. ...usually this is clean...and this should correct the root device
    if it wasn't shut down properly
 4. remount the root device read-write and continue with /etc/rc

However during this sequence I get the error message
Can't open /etc/boot.env

It obviously isn't serious as the boot sequence continues happily.
Can anyone explain what this means?

Thanks
Shih-Ping Chan

2. G3 CPU Speed

3. boot.env

4. win98/linux timed disk read discreprency

5. ENV=$HOME/.kshrc export ENV doesn't work?

6. solaris box cracked - system crashes

7. what does the env in "env name=value command" buy me?

8. List of questions from a Linux newbie...

9. Referencing an env var from an env var

10. ANNOUNCE: bootsys3.taz - Complete SYSV boot env with added bells : -)

11. Contents of /etc/boot.env + fsck.defaults ???

12. setting ENV vars during boot?

13. SLS 1.03: cannot open /etc/boot.env message on starting.