Trn and the remote NNTPserver

Post by S. O'Conn » Mon, 03 Oct 1994 19:04:32

        Trn can apparently use a remote site as the nntpserver. The file
I read said to set it in /etc/profile. OK, what exactly is the
format/syntax for this entry? I tried "NNTPSERVER=<full.site.name>", and
<full.site.name> is in my /etc/hosts file (with, of course,its IP
address). With no luck =(
        What I'm trying to do is use trn on my box to read the news on my
Net provider. If there is a way to make NN do this as well, I would like to
hear about it too.
        The config: Linux 1.0.9 running Slip via TIA.

        Next week; Mail the same way
                Thank in advance,
--

                        Irish

Post by S. O'Conno » Tue, 04 Oct 1994 16:14:49

> It's a trick.  trn can use a remote nntp server, but you need to tell your environment.  Bash enjoys tormenting people by not actually announcing environmnet
> variables until you tell it to.  Try either:

> NNTPSERVER="news.myhost.edu"
> export NNTPSERVER

> or

> export NNTPSERVER="news.myhost.edu"

> ingerneal when you change variable besides the prompt you should export them or
> else you should scrutinize the man pages and memorize (yeah right) which bash
> exports auto and which you need to tell it.

> BTW, put either of the above in /etc/profile or /etc/cshrc and it should work.

> Good Luck,
> Jeremy Sugerman

        Thank you. The third one worked.

                        Irish

1. Tin, trn and NNTPserver

That's not very nice of them.

Add this to your .cshrc, if you are using csh to tcsh:
setenv NNTPSERVER server.name.com

or add this to your .kshrc or whatever other shells start up file you
use if you use another shell:
export NNTPSERVER="server.name.com"

Hope this helps,

Jon Mitchell

2. symbolic link not a real link

3. Trn and nntpserver setup

4. ppp and mtu mru

5. trn 4.0: macro language and piping articles to sendmail / trn FAQ

6. Incremental backup

7. How to connect trn to remote NNTP server

8. Lazy Ass Worksation

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. NNTPSERVER for tin

11. set.your.NNTPSERVER.variable...