Dedicated Linux Gopher server

Post by TUMU_.. » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 06:16:03

Hi,

   We are considering dedicating a Linux machine for a local Gopher
   server.  This will be the only purpose of the workstation.
   Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with such an
   undertaking.  I have a few questions:

   1. How does the Linux implementation perform under a load of
      about 60 connections at any one time.  Does it spawn
      subprocesses for each connection?

   2. Has anyone had difficulties connecting to a Gopher server
      running on Linux?  Most of the connections on our site will
      be from a VAX/VMS machine.

   3. Any difficulties?  Any comments/suggestions??

   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sai

Post by Borries Demel » Sat, 11 Jun 1994 00:26:42

>   1. How does the Linux implementation perform under a load of
>      about 60 connections at any one time.  Does it spawn
>      subprocesses for each connection?

>   2. Has anyone had difficulties connecting to a Gopher server
>      running on Linux?  Most of the connections on our site will
>      be from a VAX/VMS machine.

>   3. Any difficulties?  Any comments/suggestions??

I have been running the standard gopher server from umn without any problems.
The server is accessed nationwide without any problems I am aware of.
I am not sure how many simultaneous connections it can support without a
problem (slowing down), but so far in about 6 months of continued service,
the gopher has not crashed or dragged the system down.

Good luck, -Borries

1. Linux dedicated UT server vs. Win32 dedicated server ?

Hello

I have a UT dedicated linuxserver at home. The hardware is not the fastest,
but it works good for me and my friends. We can play with 2 human players
and 4 bots. The server is a P133, 64 MB EDO Ram on an Iwill P54TS Board with
an 3c900B XT 10/100 Networking Card. Do not laugh about the fast CPU :-)

Ok, I would known if a NT Server configured on the same machine with a Win32
UT dedicated server is as fast as the linux server who is installed at the
moment. Who needs more system memory. The NT or the Linuxserver ? Who has
the better networkingperformance  ( low pings, little lag ..)

is it advisable to change from linux to NT or is it better to leave the
system as it is ?

Thanks in advance
Frank

2. isapnp error

3. Dedicated Unix dedicated Server

4. apache install-redhat 6.2

5. Gopher & Gopher Server

6. WTB SUN HARDWARE FROM JON IN BEDFORD TEXAS

7. New to Linux, want to run dedicated game server

8. HELP: SCSI Tape Drive

9. Which host for dedicated server linux box?

10. COMMERCIAL: Gentoo Linux dedicated server available

11. Linux Half Life Dedicated Server

12. Dedicated LINUX servers in Hosted in AU - au$99/month - OWN $299/Month

13. Minimum RAM for using Linux as a dedicated Terminal Server