Linux/SCO/WinNT/DOS co-exist?

Post by Yonik Seel » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 00:27:02

I am looking into buying a single PC for doing development on Linux,
SCO Unix, Windows, DOS, WindowsNT, and possibly UnixWare.  Does anyone
know if all these OS's will co-exist on the same box?  Any suggestions
on a box to use?  I was thinking of the "PCI SERVER" from Comtrade,
but I don't know what kind of SCSI card they have.

Thanks,
   Yonik

Linux/SCO/WinNT/DOS co-exist?

Post by Eckard Kopatz » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 01:43:32

> I am looking into buying a single PC for doing development on Linux,
> SCO Unix, Windows, DOS, WindowsNT, and possibly UnixWare.  Does anyone
> know if all these OS's will co-exist on the same box?  Any suggestions
> on a box to use?  I was thinking of the "PCI SERVER" from Comtrade,
> but I don't know what kind of SCSI card they have.

No problem. Why shouldn't that work? I had DOS/Windows, NT, Linux and Unixware
running on my machine. I had it installed on two SCSI disks, prim. & ext. DOS,
Linux and Unixware partitions on the first, NT and another Linux partition on
the second disk. I didn't fiddle around with boot managers (esp. did not allow
LILO to take the master boot record) and switched between OSes with "fdisk".
NT installs its own boot program in the first DOS partition, so when this
partition is active you can choose between DOS and NT. The only problem was
that in Win3.1 it's not possible to have a permanent swap file because it
interpreted the Unixware partition as a Stacker drive (or something of the
same effect).

--

Therese-Giehse-Allee 53     CompuServe 100024,2175
D-81739 Muenchen, Germany     Voice +49-89-6378103