RedHat Linux 8.0 Belkin Wireless pcmcia

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 09:24:12

> Does anyone know where I can find a redhat linux 8.0 Belkin wireless pcmcia
> driver?

        You could start by posting to a newsgroup where LINTEL is on-topic.
That certainly isn't the case with "comp.unix.admin".

Quote:> thanks

        No problem.

        [...followups directed as appropriate...]

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***************************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Post by Bill Marcu » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:27:22

>> Does anyone know where I can find a redhat linux 8.0 Belkin wireless pcmcia
>> driver?

I don't know if this applies to the wireless card, but I have a Belkin
pcmcia network card, and I just had to edit the /etc/pcmcia/config
file to make it work.  The "cardctl ident" command gives information
about the card.  The network card had a "linux.txt" file in its cdrom,
telling what to put in the config file.

Post by Alex Tribb » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 04:48:45

> >> Does anyone know where I can find a redhat linux 8.0 Belkin wireless pcmcia
> >> driver?

Yes. A simple "alias eth1 orinoco_cs" in your modules.conf should
handle it. If you are running the card in a PCI adaptor, change that
to "alias eth1 orinoco_plx". Then run /sbin/depmod -a, and modprobe
eth1.

Please note that the package "wireless-tools" is required. RedHat 8.0
has a version of this package available for download, but you can also
get the sources (and the latest version) at
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html

If you installed the GNOME desktop you should then be able to
configure your new card by running redhat-config-network. If you use
WEP encryption (the new bleeding-edge encryption protocols are not
supported by this driver), you can type the key into the "Key" field
under the "Wireless Device Settings" tab, reached by selecting your
eth1 adaptor (or whatever you called it) and clicking "Edit..."

The whole thing has a very eery feel to it, doesn't it? What happened
to the good old days of ifconfig, you ask? For wireless devices,
wireless-specific settings are modified from a command line using
iwconfig, although IP information should still be set via ifconfig.

Alex Tribble

RedHat Linux 8.0 Belkin Wireless pcmcia

Post by Sam Trenhol » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:16:52

[ This is a form letter sent in response to Don's postings telling
  people seeking Linux help that Linux is not talked about here ]

"Don Kool" is our resident net.kook on this newsgroup, and
is the only one who feels that Linux and BSD discussions
are inappropriate here.

None of the other regulars here share this opinion, the FAQ
for this newsgroup explicitly considers Linux and BSD valid
Unices to talk about here, and the founder of this newsgroup
has worked for VA Linux systems.

The best way to handle Don Kool is to place him in your
killfile.  In other words, set up your Usenet newsreader to
silently delete any posts which he posts.  He is incapable
of reasonable discussion; he has learned long ago that the
best way to get attention here is to act like a jerk, to
"push people buttons".  Basically, what he wants is to
tick people off so they take the time to reply to his
postings.

For your information, Don has been engaging in this kind of
activity for years.  The users on alt.activism.death-penalty
have independently set up a similiar auto-reply to Don's
postings in their newsgroup; Don "Kool" MacDonald was voted
Kook of the Month for April, 1996.

- Sam

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:05:10

> [ This is a form letter sent in response to Don's postings telling
>   people seeking Linux help that Linux is not talked about here ]

> "Don Kool" is our resident net.kook on this newsgroup, and
> is the only one who feels that Linux and BSD discussions
> are inappropriate here.

        You might want to take a new poll, Sammy.

        [...remainder of Sammy's fantasy
        and off-topic LINTEL discussion
        snipped...]

        Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                                Don