NCSA http daemon question?

Post by Vincent Ch » Fri, 23 Dec 1994 11:52:00

  Is it possible to fire up this daemon by inetd instead of
putting a line in rc.inet2?

  If it is possible, what should I do?

Thanks.

  *               Vincent Chen                *

  *          Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.           *

NCSA http daemon question?

Post by Brian Deit » Sat, 24 Dec 1994 07:27:51

> Don't do it. The httpd process takes up very little
> memory and cpu when it is sitting around waiting for
> connections.

I agree. BTW, it's worked wonderfully for me under moderately heavy to
heavy loads.

You can get more info on ncsa's httpd, including how to fire it up via
inetd, from
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

The docs are available online. Also a good place to start for CGI script
info.

Cheers,
Brian
--------
Brian Deith

1. NCSA http daemon question?

The NCSA people strong advise against starting httpd from
inetd. It will slow things way down. You should start it
as a standalone daemon.

The problme is that if you run it from inetd it must read
its configuration files and set up its environment for
every connection.

Running standalone it need only do this once and then it
forks to respond to requests.

Don't do it. The httpd process takes up very little
memory and cpu when it is sitting around waiting for
connections.

good luck,

Chris

--

2. Need help on NEC multisync 2A setup

3. HTTPS Daemon Question

4. HELP! FreeBSD 2.2.8 system regularly gets corrupted, AHA2940UW ?

5. HTTPS - Daemon Question

6. FreeBSD dev web server setup

7. NCSA HTTPd NCSA/1.5.0a CGI question

8. Virtual hosting on Linux HELP needed

9. HTTP/1.0 vs HTTP/1.1 question

10. Apache Proxy question: HTTP/1.1 -> HTTP/1.0

11. apache http proxy - http/1.0 vs http/1.1

12. NCSA: can I change HTTP header?

13. Need suggestions on CERN or NCSA http server.