Problem using rsh to Sun box

Post by Rob Fugi » Mon, 29 Aug 1994 07:11:09

I have both a Linux box and a Sunos 4.1.3 box on an ethernet.  With Linux
in text mode, I have no problem using rsh to remote shell to the Sunos box.
The Sun is YP master, Linux is a YP client, if that makes any difference.
With X running, the rsh connection fails like this...

$ rsh taz
rlogin: connection closed.
$

The connection gets established, then dropped, presumably because the
authentication is wrong.

What part of the authentication does Linux *not* provide, or provide
differently while in an xterm???

Rob

--
Rob Fugina, Systems Analyst ** I think, therefore I am not politically correct.

     GE/CS d-(---) p c++++ l++ u++ e- m+ s+/- n--- h-- f? !g w+ t+ r y?
                    http://mcmcweb.cr.usgs.gov/~rfugina/

1. logging into a linux box remotely as root using rsh with no password

I've managed to get all other users but root to log into remote machines
with no password by

1. Setting up /etc/hosts.equiv with trusted hosts
2. Setting ~/.rhost to include trusted users

N.B. This is a standalone network in a secure room used for dev work so
security is not such an issue.

Howver root cannot log in with no password. I've added the mod specified in
the man pages for rshd ( -h )  in /etc/inetd.conf but to no avail.

Does anyone know how to do this, I've been trying for so long, with several
posts, but no-one seems to know how to do this.

Using rh6.1/6.2

Regards

Paul.

2. Call for Graphical Boot Screen Under Linux (ala AIX).

3. Problem using ufsdump to remote tape called using rsh

4. Solaris 2.4..strange juju!!

5. rsh between a linux box and a BSDI box

6. OpenDOS is out

7. can't rsh to Solaris box from FreeBSD box

8. Invoking getopts from within a function (internal to my ksh script)

9. Problems with using PLIP between a Dos box and a Linux box, PLEASE help!

10. I would like to buy a used Sun box or Sparc Clone

11. how can I ftp to a remote sun box using a PC ftp client?

12. Anyone using OSF/1 on their Sun box?

13. Using two monitors on a single sun box