user accounting & idle timeout

Post by Li O » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 12:56:12

Hi,

For those Linux, UNIX experts, would you kindly teach how to extract
info from /var/adm/wtmp? I know it store user login, logout time and I
want to do user logon time accounting. I heard that there is a command
'ac' will show user logon time but I can't find it on my system
(Slackware 2.1).

Also, I want to set a idle time out for dialin user. I got 'idled' and
it most most of the time but has a major problem. It seem that the
program can't detect background process which don't require keyboard
input, such as ftp a large file and doing PPP as a client. (my server
act as a dymanic ip assign PPP server) I mean if I set the idle time out
to 15mins. Then I use ftp to get a large file which take longer than
15mins to DL, the process will stop half way and the user will be logout.
And all PPP access won't longer than 15mins. Is there any way to set the
'idled' to check the transfer activity in addition to keyboard input? Or
you guy just use a better idle timeout program?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Li On

1. user accounting & idle timeout

[...]

2. How to exit windowmaker without dialog?

3. request : BeBox Server

4. How to prevent screen locking by users and idle timeout?

5. dlink wna-2330 wireless card on fc5 - UGH!

6. Idle timeouts and user checking on SCO UNIX

7. Command substitution and strings

8. Idle user timeouts?

9. Timeout Idle Users

10. Cracked accounts (was Re: idle users)

11. idle time & iowait accounting

12. Use WinNT User Accounts on Linux -- Centralize User Accounts