EMS/extended memory

Post by John Hofo » Sun, 04 Sep 1994 07:27:45

I scraped together a 386sx out of old parts and I am running linux
Now I find I have 8 1meg sims and 4 slots. I also have
an ems/extended memory board.

Can linux use ems/extended memory?
How?

Do I have any other choice.
It is also possible that I will be commin into more 1 meg sims
(as I upgrade my sun's memory)

Is there any solution as how to use it?

John
--
-----------------------------------
John D. Hoford

EMS/extended memory

Post by John Hofo » Sun, 04 Sep 1994 07:38:22

In an Ideal world some one would write a dos/windows emulator
for linux but I have a simpler idea.

Most people who want a dos emulator have at least a partition with dos
on it, a partition with linux and a swap partition.

What if two commands could be add to the kernel:

save_stop which put ever process into the swap,
          saved its internal state, the screen etc..

resume (a boot option) which would load its internal stat
       from the swap and resume the processs.

Then a program could be written whic save/stoped unix and ran dos.
Is this possible?

John

--
-----------------------------------
John D. Hoford

EMS/extended memory

Post by Thomas Quin » Mon, 05 Sep 1994 05:08:16

Le Prostetnic Vogon John Hoford crit :

Quote:> Then a program could be written whic save/stoped unix and ran dos.
> Is this possible?

I think it's possible, but it would have to be integrated in the kernel,
whereas dosemu is a user-mode program afaik. What's more, dosemu -being a
"normal" process, doesn't disable the other running processes while it's
running. This data has also to be considered in a multi-user environement.

--
Thomas QUINOT                       |  "Un roi sans divertis*t est un

Linux - choice of a GNU generation  |                          Jean GIONO

EMS/extended memory

Post by Lige F. Hensl » Tue, 06 Sep 1994 02:47:48

: for linux but I have a simpler idea.

: Most people who want a dos emulator have at least a partition with dos
: on it, a partition with linux and a swap partition.

: What if two commands could be add to the kernel:

: save_stop which put ever process into the swap,
:         saved its internal state, the screen etc..

: resume (a boot option) which would load its internal stat
:        from the swap and resume the processs.

: Then a program could be written whic save/stoped unix and ran dos.
: Is this possible?

Why bother?

EMS/extended memory

Post by Alan C » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 19:07:48

>In an Ideal world some one would write a dos/windows emulator
>for linux but I have a simpler idea.

It's called DOSEmu and is very useful. WINE the windows emulation project
is in early days but I think will eventually work.

Quote:

>Then a program could be written whic save/stoped unix and ran dos.
>Is this possible?

Theoretically - much like a laptop suspend. I suspect writing a DOS emulator
is easy due to all the hardware restart issues.

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

EMS/extended memory

Post by chr.. » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 23:08:13

 I don't see how you could continue running linux without an emulator. If you
have also an idea on how to run DOS in a window or in a linux session, let us
know, a lot of people would be interested in this news group.

 Maybe a multi processor PC could handle this but there is a big work to make
on it...

Cp++;

EMS/extended memory

Post by jo » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 00:01:35

> I don't see how you could continue running linux without an emulator. If you
>have also an idea on how to run DOS in a window or in a linux session, let us
>know, a lot of people would be interested in this news group.

huh? dosemu's been out for about a year now.
get it from tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPHA/dosemu

or am i missing something?

Quote:>Cp++;

jon
--