Yggdrasil Install Problems

Post by Ray » Wed, 14 Dec 1994 04:14:57

I have the Yggdrasil Fall 94 distribution with a Rev D boot floppy. My system
is a P5-90 (Intel) with NEC 2x CD, ATI Mach64 video and Sound Blaster.
When I try to boot the distribution floppy, it crashes with a protection
fault and register dump after this line:

ftape: allocated 3 buffers aligned at: 00230000

I have also tested a similar P5-90 and gotten the same results (these are
both Gateway 2000 systems). Any help GREATLY appreciated!

RayG

Yggdrasil Install Problems

Post by Steve All » Sun, 18 Dec 1994 00:31:26

Quote:>I have the Yggdrasil Fall 94 distribution with a Rev D boot floppy. My system
>is a P5-90 (Intel) with NEC 2x CD, ATI Mach64 video and Sound Blaster.
>When I try to boot the distribution floppy, it crashes with a protection
>fault and register dump after this line:

>ftape: allocated 3 buffers aligned at: 00230000

>I have also tested a similar P5-90 and gotten the same results (these are
>both Gateway 2000 systems). Any help GREATLY appreciated!

I have the same problem with the same RevD disk.  I have a 486DX2/66
with a Mitsumi CDRom, Sound Blaster and Cirrus video card.  I don't
remember (at this moment) the specific CD model number, but it is
listed as "supported".  Booting from the floppy, fails with a dozen
or so lines of stack trace, ending with "unable to synchronize" (or
something to that effect).

I found my CD address to be 0x340, IRQ 11.  I tried several linux
options at boot time, as suggested by the manual, such as

        linux mcd=0x340,11

(and many others that I knew were questionable) it hangs the same way.
I noticed in my sound blaster manual (actually it is a sound pro -
"sound blaster compatible"), that the jumpers where also set to
support a sony cdrom.  So for no reason that I can remember I tried
this:

        linux cdu31a=0x340

After 30 seconds the linux boots times out trying to find the Sony
drive, *but* then continues on to find the my CDRom just fine.
From there on it works OK.  I haven't been able to recompile the
kernel yet, due to other problems, but I am hoping that will fix it.
mcd.h lists a table of addresses for the mcd to sit at.  I was
going to move my address (0x340) to the front of the list, thinking
that the other addresses might be causing the original failure.

I sure would like some more clues as to what might be happening.

--
----

   o/\_     Open Storage Group
  <\__,\    EMC Corporation
   ">   |   Hopkinton, MA

Yggdrasil Install Problems

Post by Dan Weishu » Sat, 24 Dec 1994 03:38:40

I'm returning may copy today. I could not get it to work with my IDE CDROM (Mitsumi FX400). I would suggest (HIGHLY) getting slackware installation, IT WORKS GREAT.

1. Yggdrasil install problems

I am havving problems installing the Yggdrasil Summer 94 version of Linux.

I have tried setting up Slackware 2.0 and it works fine on my system, but
Yggdrasil causes many problems.

I can do the initial setup using a custon installation. Then when I try to
install packages later using either the X-win control panel or the bash shell I
get mesages like 'unable to create directory- read-only file system'. This does
not happen all of the ime but I cannot find a common set of circumstances which
causes it.

For example, If I try to install the TeX package it will give me the error
messages, but five minutes later (in the same X-win session) it wil do it OK.

Further problems ensue when a package appears to be properly installed. For
example, I installed OLVWM and it appeared to install fine. The directories
were created and the files installed. However, when I tried to run the window
manager, I got error messages stating that lib files could not be found.

In another development, the install programme will occasionally caution me that
only root can change system configuration. This is fine, but I am root at the
time!

I am sure that there is a simple reason for these problems (which I feel may be
related) but I sure as heck can't work it out. When a product purports to be
extremely user friendly, it should be Plug 'n Play literally. I like hacking
around but I shouldn't need to in this case.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Kind regards,

Jason Carley.

2. Large files on AIX 4.3.3

3. Yggdrasil Install Problems

4. Help with TOSHIBA 3401B CD-rom on RS/6000

5. Error documentation for intallation from CD?

6. X programming

7. Yggdrasil install problem w/ IN-2000 SCSI controller

8. Yggdrasil install problem

9. Yggdrasil Install problem

10. Yggdrasil install problem -- me too!

11. Yggdrasil install problems