Is the HP 520 printer supported?

Post by Jose Acacio de Barr » Thu, 12 May 1994 06:04:13

Hello folks,

My question is simple: is the HP 520 inkjet printer supported by
linux. I gave a look at the Print-HOWTO and the HP 520 was not on the
list of printers supported by ghostscript. However, the HP520 is
pretty new and I don't know how up to date is the HOWTO. Since I'm
going to buy this printer this week I'd like to know if it is
supported by linux's ghostscript.

If this is the wrong place to post this message, please redirect me to
the correct one. Of course, if the question I have is answered in any
HOWTO, I would appreciate to know where.

Thanks a lot,

Jose Acacio.

--

Is the HP 520 printer supported?

Post by Elaine Walt » Thu, 12 May 1994 08:07:47

Quote:

>Hello folks,

>My question is simple: is the HP 520 inkjet printer supported by
>linux. I gave a look at the Print-HOWTO and the HP 520 was not on the
>list of printers supported by ghostscript. However, the HP520 is
>pretty new and I don't know how up to date is the HOWTO. Since I'm
>going to buy this printer this week I'd like to know if it is
>supported by linux's ghostscript.

>If this is the wrong place to post this message, please redirect me to
>the correct one. Of course, if the question I have is answered in any
>HOWTO, I would appreciate to know where.

>Thanks a lot,

>Jose Acacio.

All HP printers made after the introduction of LJ3 will support LJ3
commands.  This is a policy that HP made a long time ago: all their
printers will be backwards compatible.  However, they do expire archaic
escape sequences from time to time, but most of those are not used
anymore anyway.  Try to find the HP printer that matches the HP520 most
closely (if it's color, use HP550C; if it's 600dpi, use HP4Si; etc.)
-Sean

Post by Bram Smi » Fri, 13 May 1994 10:31:00

>>Hello folks,

>>My question is simple: is the HP 520 inkjet printer supported by
>>linux. I gave a look at the Print-HOWTO and the HP 520 was not on the
>>list of printers supported by ghostscript. However, the HP520 is
>>pretty new and I don't know how up to date is the HOWTO. Since I'm
>>going to buy this printer this week I'd like to know if it is
>>supported by linux's ghostscript.

Just use HP510 or HP500 compatibility. The 520 is very similar to the 510,
except for some command to go to double horizontal resolution (decrease
stepsize of the steppermotor). Even if you can't use that higher
resolution, it should still work nicely in 510 (300*300 dpi) mode.

The 520 is _very_ similar to the 510, except for the ability to go to half
stepsize horizontally, and probably putting in some slightly cheaper
components to increase profit margin.

    v__
  <"___\____     Bram 'mouser' Smits.

* All views expressed herein are my own, etc, etc. | Fangorn Systems          *
* All disclaimers apply.                           | Heerlen, The Netherlands *
*  Truly songs and tales fall utterly short of reality,                       *
*  O Smaug the Greatest and Chiefest of Calamities  - JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit *

1. Problem with HP DeskJet 520 Printer

While I print ascii text, all prints  fine, but if I try to print some
PostScript (such as PostScript test page in printtool) I got only one
line on the paper:

Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .putdeviceprops (1488)op_array (486)
0x8117b0d4:E

I'm using RH 5.2 with kernel 2.0.36, ghostscript is installed

Can somebody help me? 10x in advance

2. Installing Xterm to boot from Debian 1.3

3. HP 520 printer won't print properly

4. is there a "cd jewel case" insert builder package for linux ?

5. HP 520 printer not recognised by Linux

6. ICP vortex + smp == kernel oops

7. BJ-200e and/or HP DeskJet 520 Support?

8. Calling URL to execute CGI script.

9. SRC 520 DST 520

10. HP 520 InkJet LP interface script, anyone?

11. Setting up an HP Deskjet 520.

12. printcap for HP deskjet 520

13. Printing on HP Deskjet 520