backup and restoring configuratio

Post by Kelvin Ng Chee Hoon » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:19:45

Hi ;
    I have installed a few application into Linux system. To protect data
and configuration against losses, how do I do backup for all applications
,data and configuration , and  how do I restore them to a new hard disk ?
Where can I get the recovery guideline from internet  ? FYI , I have no
knowledge in doing backup and restoration. Hence , I need your advise on
backup and restoration . Thanks .

backup and restoring configuratio

Post by Manish Page » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 06:17:01

Quote:> Hi ;
>     I have installed a few application into Linux system. To protect data
> and configuration against losses, how do I do backup for all applications
> ,data and configuration , and  how do I restore them to a new hard disk ?
> Where can I get the recovery guideline from internet  ? FYI , I have no
> knowledge in doing backup and restoration. Hence , I need your advise on
> backup and restoration . Thanks .

Hi Kelvin,

There are numerous ways in which you can plan the backup of your
applications. It can be as simple as creating a "cron" job to mirror parts
of your filesystems on a remote machine or as complex as creating
strategies to recover the complete system on another hard drive. You can
get some pointers about these issues at:

http://www.linux-backup.net/

and

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO/in...

--
Pagey

1. help. restoring a backup dump/restore

Hi
I'm having problems with restoring a backup that has been made with dump

It's a redhat 6.1 machine
I want to restore the files on a redhat 7.1 machiene

cd /space
restore rf /dev/ht0

#(very long list)#
#and then half way#

Mount tape volume 2
Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
otherwise enter tape name (default: /dev/ht0) none
Warning: End-of-input encountered while
./data/data/fromcvs/development_2/com/data/support/producerconsumer/java/tes
t/CVS/Root/file
entry type: LEAF
inode number: 4214662
flags: NEW
abort? [yn] y
dump core? [yn] n

The backup went well on the machine where the backup was made if i need to
believe dump.
You whould realy help me with an tip/solution on this one :)
Maybe the syntax `restore rf /dev/ht0` is not the right way ?

-Bas Keur

2. 3-button mouse

3. Restore data from DDS (((AKA further proof of backup/restore issues on linux

4. Floppy install help requested please

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. sound on red hat 4.2

7. Free Apache configuratio file template and tool

8. Avance Logic 2301 on Spea Vega Video (PCI) ?

9. Configuratio for kernel

10. Sysadmsh Backup/Restore limits to 209MB filesize.

11. full backup and restore of sco unix

12. dump/restore & inodes - are old backups obsolete ?

13. AACK! Restored from backup, but...