2.4.2 Printing does not work

Post by David Mean » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 04:02:43

Have any of you had problems printing under RH 2.4.2?  The system 'sees'
the printer: both when it boots the printer performs a default cycle
twice, and the first print job will cause it cycle too.  But nothing
prints.

Thanks,

David

2.4.2 Printing does not work

Post by J Sloa » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:59:58

> Have any of you had problems printing under RH 2.4.2?  The system 'sees'
> the printer: both when it boots the printer performs a default cycle
> twice, and the first print job will cause it cycle too.  But nothing
> prints.

RH 7.1 printing works fine here -

EXCEPT if you are printing to a pee cee printer,
for some reason the smbprint doesn't seem to
work - however, in the one place where I actually
needed smb printing, I found that downgrading to
the printtool and associated utils from Red Hat 7.0
caused smb printing to work as before.

cu

jjs

2.4.2 Printing does not work

Post by David Mean » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:48:48

>> Have any of you had problems printing under RH 2.4.2?  The system
>> 'sees' the printer: both when it boots the printer performs a default
>> cycle twice, and the first print job will cause it cycle too.  But
>> nothing prints.

> RH 7.1 printing works fine here -

> EXCEPT if you are printing to a pee cee printer, for some reason the
> smbprint doesn't seem to work - however, in the one place where I
> actually needed smb printing, I found that downgrading to the printtool
> and associated utils from Red Hat 7.0 caused smb printing to work as
> before.

> cu

> jjs

When I had problems with samba, I found that adding a password to the
printer configuration resolved my issues.  I wish it were that simple this
time: the printer is connected directly to the lp0 port.

Weird... It worked on 7.0, I think... might have been a 6.x direvitative
whcih I'm remembering tho...

Thanks,

David

1. root printing works, user printing not ?

Did I miss to adjust the permissions on one of the print files to enable
any user (not root) to use the printer?

When I log in as root all is fine. As soon as I log in under a different
user name neither
lpr file
nor
more test.txt |lpd
seems to work.

Strange is also that the queue is not enabled but lpd works under
root?!...see following files:

lp:
        queuing is disabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL bjc600 360x360 a4 {} BJC600 24 1
lp:        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:        :mx#0:        :sh:        :lp=/dev/lp0:        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Any suggestion for how I enable user printing is greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Peet

2. Netfinity 5500 S3 woes

3. alias to print working directory (pwd) when doing 'cd'

4. Help with DOOM for Linux

5. ipchains : ftp does not work from dos prompt

6. mounting iso image in C/C++

7. forwarding ippp-eth0 dos not work

8. hardware advice

9. mformat dos not work

10. SCSI works in DOS, not Linux

11. Serial works under Dos, not Linux

12. Partitioning does not work on extended DOS-Partition

13. lerdir does not seem to work with Redhat 5.1 and the free dos