Replace MS Exchange 2000

Post by Itsik Avia » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 00:32:27

After one too many database corruptions in MS Exchange 2000 server. I
was able to get my company to seriously consider a Linux based solution
that would replace that stupid thing. I was asked to research and come
up with a comprehensive solution that would address the issues of high
volume email, group calendaring/scheduling, virus protection and a
company wide contact list. The issue of migration comes into mind. Which
would probably complicate things (I am not looking just for freeware
solutions).
Thats where you, my fellow Linux geeks, enter the picture.
Could you please help me come up with a robust solutions?

Replace MS Exchange 2000

Post by mps » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:01:27

> After one too many database corruptions in MS Exchange 2000
> server. I was able to get my company to seriously consider a
> Linux based solution that would replace that stupid thing. I
> was asked to research and come up with a comprehensive solution
> that would address the issues of high volume email, group
> calendaring/scheduling, virus protection and a company wide
> contact list. The issue of migration comes into mind. Which
> would probably complicate things (I am not looking just for
> freeware solutions). That?s where you, my fellow Linux geeks,
> enter the picture. Could you please help me come up with a
> robust solutions?

Since you know the details about the size, and behavior of the
network, you are going to have to do the homework, but a nudge
in the right direction can't hurt.

High volume email...

Look into the Cyrus IMAP server.  There are ways to do mail into
a My/PostgreSQL database as well.  I like postfix for the mta,
but this is a religious preference.  Also consider exim or
qmail.  You may want to look at sendmail just for comparison,
but I find it a pain in the neck.  Squirrellmail is a great
webmail interface if you need that as well.

Groupware...

If you go to sourceforge.net and freshmeat.net and search on
groupware, there are quite a few free packages.  If they don't
meet your needs, you could always run MeetingMaker or something
similar on a windows server somewhere.  There are a lot of
Squirrelmail plugins that meet some of these needs as well.

Virus filtering...

RAV, Sophos, and Kaspersky all have linux mail server filters.
You will have to pay for them.

Contacts...

LDAP

Migration...

There are tools to convert mailboxes from any format to any
other format.  I don't know anything about the formats used for
the groupware or contacts in Exchange, so you're on your own
there.

Most importantly, do your homework.  Look at the features and
test these products extensively to make sure they meet your
company's needs.

Replace MS Exchange 2000

Post by Steven Low » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 03:26:44

IBM's Lotus Notes/Domino !!
Notes/Domino includes all the features you mention and more.
Tools are included to easily migrate users from Exchange.  Users can
be registered from the Exchange GAL.
Mail access is available through the Notes client, IMAP (Outlook),
POP, or a web browser though scheduling features vary with client
type.
In addition to mail, calendars and scheduling individuals, you can
schedule resources such as rooms and equipment.
There are also out of the box solutions for discussion groups, team
rooms, workflow, back-end database connectivity, and a large number of
other features.

I have this running on Red Hat 8.

Free trial versions of the server and clients are available at:
http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/welcome.nsf

There are links from this site to IBM Redbooks where you can find
detailed information on migrating from Exchange to Domino and running
Domino on Linux.

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:32:27 UTC, Itsik Aviad

--
Steven Lowry
delete IAM from no spam email address

Replace MS Exchange 2000

Post by Micheal Duff » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:13:30

> After one too many database corruptions in MS Exchange 2000 server. I
> was able to get my company to seriously consider a Linux based solution
> that would replace that stupid thing. I was asked to research and come
> up with a comprehensive solution that would address the issues of high
> volume email, group calendaring/scheduling, virus protection and a
> company wide contact list. The issue of migration comes into mind. Which
> would probably complicate things (I am not looking just for freeware
> solutions).
> Thats where you, my fellow Linux geeks, enter the picture.
> Could you please help me come up with a robust solutions?

Samsung contact appears to be a good product, and would appear to
intergrate with outlook very well. Talking to the sales rep it would seem
the only feature it does not support from exchange is Outlook forms.
Migration looks good as well.

Replace MS Exchange 2000

Post by Gregory D. Horn » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:16:22

> After one too many database corruptions in MS Exchange 2000 server. I
> was able to get my company to seriously consider a Linux based solution
> that would replace that stupid thing. I was asked to research and come
> up with a comprehensive solution that would address the issues of high
> volume email, group calendaring/scheduling, virus protection and a
> company wide contact list. The issue of migration comes into mind. Which
> would probably complicate things (I am not looking just for freeware
> solutions).
> Thats where you, my fellow Linux geeks, enter the picture.
> Could you please help me come up with a robust solutions?

Suse OpenExchange
Bynari InSight Server
Caldera Volution

These are supported products in terms of having a commercial
organisation behind these products.  There are of course mnany OSS/FSS
solutions but most address one component of the full groupware suite and
are not necessarily integrated although you can integate them yourself.

Replace MS Exchange 2000

Post by Dave Smi » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 05:04:40

> Suse OpenExchange
> Bynari InSight Server
> Caldera Volution

The bad part about Bynari and Caldera is the fact that both require
you to install a patch onto any Outlook clients. Bynari also doesnt
come with any Webmail capabilities (afaik).

dave

1. Replace MS Exchange 2000

After one too many database corruptions in MS Exchange 2000 server. I
was able to get my company to seriously consider a Linux based solution
that would replace that stupid thing. I was asked to research and come
up with a comprehensive solution that would address the issues of high
volume email, group calendaring/scheduling, virus protection and a
company wide contact list. The issue of migration comes into mind. Which
would probably complicate things (I am not looking just for freeware
solutions).
Thats where you, my fellow Linux geeks, enter the picture.
Could you please help me come up with a robust solutions?

2. Recommended patch cluster

3. Telnet for WINDOWS/MAC

4. MS patches Exchange 2000 email spy bug

5. serial ports and 2.2.1

6. Replacing MS Small Business Server 2000 with Linux

7. what is ugidd?

8. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

9. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

10. Thought: KMail Hook To Exchange Server 2000

11. Proxying OWA (Exchange 2000) with Apache 2.0

12. Korganizer Exchange 2000 plugin