Does Linux contain an elephant?

Post by Salem Rey » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 02:41:33

Something really wierd happened in my Linux box....
I have a micosoft compatible mouse which works fine on OS/2 and MS Windows, but
whenever I move the mouse, the mouse cursor just don't response.  I've recheck
my X window configuration, and I believe everything has been setup properly. I
also use setserial to check my serial ports, and everything looks fine. Now, I
need you help for finding the elephant (problems).  What are the necessary
steps of attacking this problem? I'm willing to recheck everything once more.
--

Salem

Post by Andy Thall » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 16:50:17

|> Something really wierd happened in my Linux box....
|> I have a micosoft compatible mouse which works fine on OS/2 and MS Windows, but
|> whenever I move the mouse, the mouse cursor just don't response.  I've recheck
|> my X window configuration, and I believe everything has been setup properly. I
|> also use setserial to check my serial ports, and everything looks fine. Now, I
|> need you help for finding the elephant (problems).  What are the necessary
|> steps of attacking this problem? I'm willing to recheck everything once more.
|> --
|>
|> Salem

You should try to set the mousedriver in the file /usr/X11/lib/X11/Xconfig (or something like that) to 'microsystems'.

Good luck,

Andy

Post by Tom Griffi » Tue, 08 Nov 1994 06:14:51

>Something really wierd happened in my Linux box....
>I have a micosoft compatible mouse which works fine on OS/2 and MS Windows, but
>whenever I move the mouse, the mouse cursor just don't response.  I've recheck
>my X window configuration, and I believe everything has been setup properly. I
>also use setserial to check my serial ports, and everything looks fine. Now, I
>need you help for finding the elephant (problems).  What are the necessary
>steps of attacking this problem? I'm willing to recheck everything once more.

1.  Make sure Linux is looking for mouse activity at the right port.

    Linux is normally set up to use device "/dev/mouse" for mouse input.
    Check it by doing:

    $ ls -l /dev/mouse
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Sep 30 18:12 /dev/mouse -> ttyS0
    $

    This is what I got ... my mouse in plugged into the *first* serial
    port.  This is COM1 to MS-DOG and ttyS0 to Linux.

    If this is not correct, remove the link and correct it:

    $ su
    Password:
    # cd /dev
    # rm mouse
    ln -s ttyS0 mouse
    #

    Make sure your Xconfig file is watching /dev/mouse.

2.  Selection can be used as a diagnostic tool in the character mode.
    Run it like so:

    $ su
    Password:
    # selection -m /dev/ttyS0 -t ms  (or whatever is right for YOUR mouse)
    #

    then press the first (left) mouse button and see if it works.

3.  Try another mouse port.  Move the mouse to the COM2 port and try
    /dev/ttyS1 instead.

4.  Try a modem on the port and see if IT can talk to the serial port.

       /                         /                                            /
      /   Thomas L. Griffing    /   To invent, you need a good imagination   /

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. CD-Writer 2.0

3. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

4. Scanjet 2300c and ATI Radeon 7000

5. IBM: Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?

6. Solaris 2.5.1, how to dispose of controlling tty

7. EpochBackup-ACL2640 salesman selling a white elephant

8. LBX

9. Elephant Filesystem

10. PostgreSQL: The Elephant Never Forgets

11. HAYES ACCURA 56K modem or white elephant ????

12. I shot an elephant...

13. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?