TCO of Linux running on IBM Mainframe

Post by Bernard Josep » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:34:03

I'm building a model for my company to determine the TCO of running Linux on
IBM Mainframes.  I would like to engage/contract a consulting firm or
independent consultant that has experience with partitioning excess
mainframe capacity and running Linux to support current functions, i.e. file
and print,  I'm running on an NT server farm.

Does anyone know of a firm or consultant that might be able to help me?

Joseph Bernard

Post by Keith Benedi » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:17:12

> I'm building a model for my company to determine the TCO of running Linux on
> IBM Mainframes.  I would like to engage/contract a consulting firm or
> independent consultant that has experience with partitioning excess
> mainframe capacity and running Linux to support current functions, i.e. file
> and print,  I'm running on an NT server farm.

> Does anyone know of a firm or consultant that might be able to help me?

> Thanks,

> Joseph Bernard

Might be best if you let people know what general location your in, as
for all I know you work 30 miles from me or 3000 miles.  In the second
case I would be a little busy to be travelling 3000 miles.

That being said the experience your looking for I personally can't
offer up.  But I have talked with many other consultants in my area
and one thing you may want to keep in mind is using UML ( not Unified
Modeling Language for the programmers out there....but User Mode Linux
)  It will allow you to run many virtual machines on your boxes to
allow you to seperate and yet utilize the resources to their optimum
capacity.

Keith.

TCO of Linux running on IBM Mainframe

Post by Tom Neilso » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:15:18

Good starting point ....

http://www10.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux390/inde...

and / or  http://linas.org/linux/i370.html for the "do-it-yourself" type.

Both are quite good in fact.

Regards,

Quote:> I'm building a model for my company to determine the TCO of running Linux
on
> IBM Mainframes.  I would like to engage/contract a consulting firm or
> independent consultant that has experience with partitioning excess
> mainframe capacity and running Linux to support current functions, i.e.
file
> and print,  I'm running on an NT server farm.

> Does anyone know of a firm or consultant that might be able to help me?

> Thanks,

> Joseph Bernard

1. TCO of Linux on IBM Mainframe

I'm building a model to measure the TCO of running Linux on an IBM mainframe
for my company.  I'd like to partition excess capacity that we have on an
IBM mainframe machine and use Linux to support my file and print environment
that I currently have running on an NT server farm.

I'd like to engage/contract a consulting firm or independent consultant that
has implemented this scenario to help me build the model.

Does anyone know of a firm/consultant that meets this profile that they
might refer to me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph Bernard

2. Help!-Printing problem thro 16 port Digiboard

3. free access to IBM mainframe running Linux

4. What happen to forum.inprise.com newsgroup?

5. SNA via TCP/IP from IBM mainframe running PSF

6. replace hard disk

7. TCO Linux on IBM

8. Posix Message Queues/semaphores?

9. Free Trial of Linux on IBM zSeries Mainframe

10. Free Access to Linux on IBM zSeries Mainframe

11. Free Access to Linux on IBM Mainframe

12. IBM Linux mainframe to displace NT, Sun, HP boxes at Venezuelan bank

13. Free Access to Linux on IBM Mainframe