Dos remote login to Linux box - pcnfs??

Post by Lee Keis » Tue, 24 Jan 1995 02:50:18

I've got a Linux box running at work (1.1.45) and would like to have the
other Dos boxes be able to login to the Linux box thru the Ethernet
trunk.  Is this possible?  Would I use a program called PCNFS?

TIA

--
Lee A Keiser II

Waterford, MI

Dos remote login to Linux box - pcnfs??

Post by Dave Dav » Sat, 28 Jan 1995 10:12:50

Quote:>I've got a Linux box running at work (1.1.45) and would like to have the
>other Dos boxes be able to login to the Linux box thru the Ethernet
>trunk.  Is this possible?  Would I use a program called PCNFS?

pcnfs is a Sun product and will allow connections to machines running
pcnfsd, including allowing the host disks to be nfs mounted on the
DOS machine.  You must pay a licence fee.  It is not without security
problems for the host system.

A cost-free alternative is NCSA telnet if you do not require the NFS mounts.

Post by wot.. » Sat, 28 Jan 1995 21:35:35

> | I've got a Linux box running at work (1.1.45) and would like to have the
> | other Dos boxes be able to login to the Linux box thru the Ethernet
> | trunk.  Is this possible?  Would I use a program called PCNFS?

> Russ Nelson, the packet driver expert, put me onto a free package for
> DOS which does telnet (and I think ftp). Unfortunately I don't have the
> info at all handy, and the DOS that used it is backed up on a tape a
> hundred miles away (and my 150MB drive is in mothballs).

> You might ask him if he doesn't spot this posting.

> Please post the answer, I want to file it for future use.

MS-Kermit has network support, though I've never used that part of it.

Perhaps that could be used to telnet to a Linux machine over ethernet.

---John P. Wotkun------------|-------------------------------------------|

East Chicago, IN             | Fancy quote here                          |
-----------------------------|-------------------------------------------|

Post by Donald Bu » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 10:19:44

>> | I've got a Linux box running at work (1.1.45) and would like to have the
>> | other Dos boxes be able to login to the Linux box thru the Ethernet
>> | trunk.  Is this possible?  Would I use a program called PCNFS?

>> Russ Nelson, the packet driver expert, put me onto a free package for
>> DOS which does telnet (and I think ftp). Unfortunately I don't have the
>> info at all handy, and the DOS that used it is backed up on a tape a
>> hundred miles away (and my 150MB drive is in mothballs).

>> You might ask him if he doesn't spot this posting.

>> Please post the answer, I want to file it for future use.
>MS-Kermit has network support, though I've never used that part of it.
>Perhaps that could be used to telnet to a Linux machine over ethernet.

I think there's a DOS version of NCSA Telnet, which includes a telnet
program and a FTP server.  Try ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.

--
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Donald Burr                          | tel: 805/564-1871  fax: 805/564-2315 |

+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

Post by Scott Chapm » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 08:09:39

>: | I've got a Linux box running at work (1.1.45) and would like to have the
>: | other Dos boxes be able to login to the Linux box thru the Ethernet
>: | trunk.  Is this possible?  Would I use a program called PCNFS?

>: Russ Nelson, the packet driver expert, put me onto a free package for
>: DOS which does telnet (and I think ftp). Unfortunately I don't have the
>: info at all handy, and the DOS that used it is backed up on a tape a
>: hundred miles away (and my 150MB drive is in mothballs).

>There is NCSA Telnet for DOS that I use in an installation up in the Bay
>Area..  I'm sure you can get it from the standard NCSA ftp site..  (I
>can't remember exactly where that is right now.)  Just set it up with some
>Dummy IP address on your local net that WILL NOT GET OUT TO THE REST OF
>THE WORLD, unless the PCs already have their own IP...

An older but very useful way to do this is with Kermit software which is public domain and uses
a packet driver to access your ethernet card.  It supports telnet as well as dial-up
connectivity and works wonderfully, probably providing the best vt emulation of any software out
there.  It is public domain and availalbe on the net (columbia university).  I forget the actual
location but archie for msker*.zip and I think you will find it.

Hope that helps,
--
 -------------------------
| Scott Chapman sends.... |

|"I think -- therefore I'm|
|politically incorrect."  |
 -------------------------

Post by Ben Mehlm » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 00:15:32

>>> Russ Nelson, the packet driver expert, put me onto a free package
for
>>> DOS which does telnet (and I think ftp). Unfortunately I don't have
the
>>> info at all handy, and the DOS that used it is backed up on a tape a
>>> hundred miles away (and my 150MB drive is in mothballs).

Perhaps the software he was referring to is NOS, usually referred to as
KA9Q NOS for the callsign of its author, Phil Karn.  There are a few
other maintainers of this package which you will see as various other
call signs.

Anyway, NOS is a DOS application which combines a whole pile of network
stuff, including static and dynamic routing, CSLIP, PPP, ethernet and ax.
25 support, dns, telnet and ftp clients, an ftp server, a small bbs, a
mail system with smtp and pop protocols, nntp, and lots more.

Given all the features, it can be somewhat intimidating when you first use
it, but really once you get started it's simple.  In the simplest case
(yours), you need only set up about 10 lines worth of configuration file
and you're ready to run multiple telnet and ftp sessions to your linux
box.

One hint- get a compiled version.  DO not try to compile this yourself
unless you have a real reason to.

-

  The Secretary disavows any knowlege of my actions.
  So does Prodigy.