Possible to read ext2 fs under Dos or OS/2?

Possible to read ext2 fs under Dos or OS/2?

Post by Mark Witherspo » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 09:58:52

I thought I heard someone talk about a program that would do this (I
think it was for OS/2), but I can't seem to find any information about
such a thing.  The reason I want to do this is that I forgot root
password and am hoping there is some way to access my files on my Linux
drive.  Thanks in advance.

Post by Mark Witherspo » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 11:37:11

: I thought I heard someone talk about a program that would do this (I
: think it was for OS/2), but I can't seem to find any information about
: such a thing.  The reason I want to do this is that I forgot root
: password and am hoping there is some way to access my files on my Linux
: drive.  Thanks in advance.

Sorry, never mind.  You just Linux from floppy, mount the HD, edit
/mnt/etc/passwd to fix this.

Post by Ed Wrig » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 03:24:29

>I thought I heard someone talk about a program that would do this (I
>think it was for OS/2), but I can't seem to find any information about
>such a thing.  The reason I want to do this is that I forgot root
>password and am hoping there is some way to access my files on my Linux
>drive.  Thanks in advance.

You should have your original Linux install disks (2 disks, boot and
root), Boot that system, mount you HD / filesystem on the mnt dir, of
the "maintenance" system.  Then use vi to fix /mtn/etc/passwd.  This
should work.

Ed Wright

Post by Kai Leibrand » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 20:25:43

> >I thought I heard someone talk about a program that would do this (I
> >think it was for OS/2), but I can't seem to find any information about
> >such a thing.

Well, it would be *very* handy for me too, but for other reasons. Would
it not be possible to devise a driver which allows you to mount a ext2
drive under dos, much like a net drive? I too remember something like
that being discussed a while ago, but can't find any info.
Any Hints?

Kailee.

Post by Matthew B. Gue » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 04:59:59

: Well, it would be *very* handy for me too, but for other reasons. Would
: it not be possible to devise a driver which allows you to mount a ext2
: drive under dos, much like a net drive? I too remember something like
: that being discussed a while ago, but can't find any info.
: Any Hints?

You have at least two choices,NFS or SAMBA.
--
Matt- Linux help by e-mail
Advocating Linux and OS/2 for the Indian Wells Valley

1. Read ext2 fs from OS/2 or DOS?

A little while ago someone had written a program that would enable
DOS to read the ext2 filesystem.  At the time I didn't pay to
much attention to it sice I didn't need it, but I need it now.

What was this program called?  Is there an OS/2 version?  Thanks.
 (P.S. Merry Christmas)
--
------------------------

Bikram Dhaliwal
(905) 845-4567

2. AIX problem -- perhaps an FAQ -- "Background write".

3. Read/Write ext2 fs from DOS ?

4. Multia Software

5. reading ext2 FS from dos. how?

6. quartet 10/100 card installation problems

7. EXT2 TOOLS: Read ext2 files from DOS

8. Crashes with various reasons, and no explanation

9. EXT2 FS PROBLEM! (possible BUG?)

10. Ext2-fs utilities for DOS?

11. Q: Accessing Linux ext2 FS from DOS

12. Reading an ext2 fs under SCO