Problem with setting up slackware

Post by Duong M » Tue, 31 May 1994 21:29:28

Guys,

I am trying to install the version of slackware that I got from
sunsite.unc.edu. I am using the 1_2meg bare for boot disk and tty144 for root
disk. I booted up but every time I try to run the setup script I got the
message:
fgrep: memory exhausted
cat: virtual memory exhausted
right after I entered 2 for no at the question "Would you like to remap your
keyboard? "
Please help

Post by Elaine Walt » Wed, 01 Jun 1994 07:29:28

>Guys,

>I am trying to install the version of slackware that I got from
>sunsite.unc.edu. I am using the 1_2meg bare for boot disk and tty144 for root
>disk. I booted up but every time I try to run the setup script I got the
>message:
>fgrep: memory exhausted
>cat: virtual memory exhausted
>right after I entered 2 for no at the question "Would you like to remap your
>keyboard? "
>Please help

We need more information to help you.  Like, how much memory do you have?
Linux creates a 1MB+ ramdisk for temporary storage.  If you have less than
4MB, you will have problems.
-Sean

Post by Stuart Herbe » Thu, 02 Jun 1994 23:30:52

: Guys,

: I am trying to install the version of slackware that I got from
: sunsite.unc.edu. I am using the 1_2meg bare for boot disk and tty144 for root
: disk. I booted up but every time I try to run the setup script I got the
: message:
: fgrep: memory exhausted
: cat: virtual memory exhausted
: right after I entered 2 for no at the question "Would you like to remap your
: keyboard? "
: Please help

It sounds like you've not created any virtual memory.  When the Slackware
boot/root discs have booted, you should see a message telling you to setup
your virtual memory before continuing.

Follow those instructions if you've not already done so.

Stuart