NIS Automount Failure: Empy /home...

Post by Sean R » Sat, 10 May 2003 17:51:45

Hi, all.

I'm trying to set up a network managed by a single NIS master
server with automount facility.
But I'm stumped after I generated auto.master and auto.home
maps on the server.
The symptoms are as follows:
  - Whenever I log on from any of the client machines, /home
    directory on a client has been mounted with an empty
    directory. It seems to be due to automount configuration,
    since I can see the original /home contents only after
    stopping automount daemon.
  - I can't mount even manually each of the user's
    /home/(user) directories. When I tried, 'Permission
    Denied' error messages comes up.

Due to the NFS portmap problem, currently, iptables are
turned off, and the /etc/exports file maintains a correct
export list. Nothing changes after I reboot either the server
or the clients. auto.master and auto.home files are composed
as follows for the server and clients.

[Server]
#auto.master
/home           /etc/auto.home

#auto.home
user1           -rw,hard,intr           server:/home/user1
user2           -rw,hard,intr           server:/home/user2

[Client]
#auto.master
#EMPTY

#auto.home
+auto.home

user1/2 directory on the server and clients are owned by
user1/2. There's no problem in mounting another directory
from the server.

Please help me come out of this stuff. Thanks in advance. ^^

NIS Automount Failure: Empy /home...

Post by Whoeve » Sun, 11 May 2003 03:59:41

Quote:> Hi, all.

> I'm trying to set up a network managed by a single NIS master
> server with automount facility.
> But I'm stumped after I generated auto.master and auto.home
> maps on the server.
> The symptoms are as follows:
>   - Whenever I log on from any of the client machines, /home
>     directory on a client has been mounted with an empty
>     directory. It seems to be due to automount configuration,
>     since I can see the original /home contents only after
>     stopping automount daemon.
>   - I can't mount even manually each of the user's
>     /home/(user) directories. When I tried, 'Permission
>     Denied' error messages comes up.

        Do the /home/(user) directories exist? If you are not using the
automounter, then these directories must exist for you to manually mount
them.

When you say /home is mounted, what do you mean by this? What does
df | grep home
report?

Quote:

> Due to the NFS portmap problem, currently, iptables are
> turned off, and the /etc/exports file maintains a correct
> export list. Nothing changes after I reboot either the server
> or the clients. auto.master and auto.home files are composed
> as follows for the server and clients.

> [Server]
> #auto.master
> /home           /etc/auto.home

> #auto.home
> user1           -rw,hard,intr           server:/home/user1
> user2           -rw,hard,intr           server:/home/user2

> [Client]
> #auto.master
> #EMPTY

> #auto.home
> +auto.home

> user1/2 directory on the server and clients are owned by
> user1/2. There's no problem in mounting another directory
> from the server.

> Please help me come out of this stuff. Thanks in advance. ^^

Are you trying to export an auto.home map also?

What do you get if you run (on the client):
ypcat -k auto.master
ypcat -k auto.home

1. NIS Automount Failure: Empy /home...

[...]

2. Linuxware 2.5 Suite! Complete Linux and BSD distribution!

3. Work in the Netherlands, Switzerland or UK?

4. RFH: SunOS NIS users can't "automount" their home directory from NIS+ Server

5. Installation help

6. NIS Automount Failure

7. Efficiency of memory paging?

8. NIS Automount failure on Redhat 7.1

9. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

10. NIS/NFS home directories/Automounting

11. Expanding user's home by automount+NIS

12. problem logging in using NIS + automounted home directories.