ppp and frame with bad fcs

Post by Brian Curti Harve » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 16:57:49

Hi I have this problem with ppp.. I have two computers one with Slack 2.0
dist and one with Slack 2.1 dist...  Both of them have kernel version
1.1.75.  On the computer with the 2.0 dist ppp works fine but when I
try and run pppd on the computer with the 2.1 dist I get these errors in my
syslog
Jan  2 19:05:08 hooty kernel: ppp: frame with bad fcs
Jan  2 19:05:50 hooty last message repeated 7 times
Jan  2 19:06:30 hooty last message repeated 9 times
Jan  2 19:08:04 hooty last message repeated 19 times
Jan  2 19:08:48 hooty last message repeated 33 times
Jan  2 19:10:03 hooty last message repeated 18 times

This will continue for as long as I keep the connection up..  It stays up
fine I just can't get very many packet through.  The packet lose is about
%30 to the server and about %60 to other computers on the same subnet
as the server.  I just what to know what causes this kind of message.
I have tried the pppd that comes with the 2.0 dist and 2.1 but I get the
same results. Is it hardware related or something in the dist.
Thanks
Brian

Ohh I should say I am running these on a network by themselves connecting
to the network at school going through a TS.  But I am trying them separately
:)

ppp and frame with bad fcs

Post by bill davids » Sat, 07 Jan 1995 02:10:03

| Hi I have this problem with ppp.. I have two computers one with Slack 2.0
| dist and one with Slack 2.1 dist...  Both of them have kernel version
| 1.1.75.  On the computer with the 2.0 dist ppp works fine but when I
| try and run pppd on the computer with the 2.1 dist I get these errors in my

Just as a thought, do you have a 16550 UART on the line running ppp? If
it is a serial problem you should see better reliability by dropping the
line speed. Also scheck that your modem is set for hardware flow control.
--

        Will solve problems for money.
Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward.

1. w.r.t. ppp(d)/chat what does "ppp:frame with bad fcs, excess=6f6a" mean?

When I use minicom to start my ppp session I have no problem. But,
when I use pppd and chat I cant get a connection. I run it with debug
and with kdebug 25 and I keep getting this message before it dies. My
service provider has a stupid little (2 lines) message, "PPP session
beginning",  it displays before the }.#}!.} stuff. Could this be the
problem and how do I fix it? If you could tell me what this message
means or where I could find what it means I would appreciate it.

2. mp3 playback problem

3. PPP: "frame with bad fcs" errors

4. Partition Magic 4.0 supports ext2 partitions

5. ppp frame with bad fcs

6. Tracking a Process

7. ppp: frame with bad fcs

8. rmcd Linux-Win2K interoperability--How does this work?

9. ppp: "frame with bad fcs, excess = 1ad" error

10. ppp: bad fcs frame / RH 5.1

11. PPP: frame with bad fcs, excess=XXXX

12. ppp: frame with bad fcs ???

13. PPP problems: CCP fails and frames have bad FCS