Very weird login problem

Post by Niels Werensteij » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello!
I am ruinning a redhat linux server with 2.2.14 kernel and ip_masq.
I had it running for 5 months now, without a hitch.. Until now..
When i try to log in at the console or via telnet, it says login incorect.
So i thought passwords were messed up..
But when in log into linuxconf or FTP, the passwords work ok.
So what is going on? It is realy anoying me, cause I CAN'T LOG IN TO MY OWN
BOX!

Plz help? What am i looking for? suggestions?

I'd hate to have to reinstall it.. grr
Thanks..
Niels

Very weird login problem

Post by Fabrice Lhomm » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am ruinning a redhat linux server with 2.2.14 kernel and ip_masq.
> I had it running for 5 months now, without a hitch.. Until now..
> When i try to log in at the console or via telnet, it says login incorect.
> So i thought passwords were messed up..
> But when in log into linuxconf or FTP, the passwords work ok.
> So what is going on? It is realy anoying me, cause I CAN'T LOG IN TO MY OWN
> BOX!

> Plz help? What am i looking for? suggestions?

You have been hacked.

The hacker certainly replaced /bin/login but your /etc/passwd file is
correct.

I had the same problem two years ago and some other files had been
replaced (can't remember which ones). You should reinstall your system.
In my case, the attack were done through bind. You should get the
earlier version if you use bind and still have an older version.

Fabrice.

1. Weird Login Problem

Hello,

 I put the below message in redhat mailing list and group but no
hints! Probably it is not Redhat specific. Any ideas to fix this
problem?

     thanks,
     Farshad

2. Dosemu difficulties...

3. Weird Login problem

4. \\\** Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator - US/NJ **///

5. weird login problem

6. BIND on Solaris 2.2

7. fix for weird login problem

8. Doom won't run

9. weird login problem

10. REDHAT 5.0+Triteal CDE--->>weird login problem

11. Weird login problem

12. WEIRD login problem

13. Very weird login problem