How many users can I get on a 486 DX2 66 server?

How many users can I get on a 486 DX2 66 server?

Post by Nathan Stratt » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 12:20:19

I have a 486 DX2 66 running Linux and would like to know how many users I
can support on my system at one time. I will be provide internet access
so users will not be dialin only so thay will not be able to run X. I
have a 486 DCL 40 that I am using as my terminal server, the users call
the server and then rlogin to my server. If you can help, please send me
mail or post.

I also would like to know why when I am doing a file transfer from the
system it locks up. Is this because I am rlogig on to the system and not
loging on with a modem?

  | Nathan Stratton              Washington and Lee High School Junior      |

Post by David Kastr » Mon, 18 Jul 1994 20:37:42

>I have a 486 DX2 66 running Linux and would like to know how many users I
>can support on my system at one time. I will be provide internet access
>so users will not be dialin only so thay will not be able to run X. I
>have a 486 DCL 40 that I am using as my terminal server, the users call
>the server and then rlogin to my server. If you can help, please send me
>mail or post.

Depends not as much on your CPU Power as to your amount of RAM. I'd say
probably 4MB base plus 4MB for every additional user should do the trick.
Add another 4MB if you are using X. If your users do only shell, vi,
mail, talk, ftp and similar, 2MB are ok for each one easily. If they do
heavy development even 4MB will be too small.

Quote:>I also would like to know why when I am doing a file transfer from the
>system it locks up. Is this because I am rlogig on to the system and not
>loging on with a modem?
>--

file transfer? with something like kermit or such? W E L L, rlogin has
special characters, like ~ at start of a line, and this is likely to
interfere. Use telnet (which has a special character ^], but kermit
avoids that), tell your file transfer program to avoid those special
characters (you can tell term, for instance), or better, tell your
rlogin/telnet/whatever to not use any special characters.

--

 Tel: +49-241-72419 Fax: +49-241-79502
 Goethestr. 20, D-52064 Aachen

1. Performance Increase: 486/DX2 66 to 486/DX4 100

I'd like to know what kind of a performance increase I can
expect by swapping my 486/DX2 66 for an AMD 486/DX4 100, and by getting a
motherboard (VLB) with 256K cache (my current board has no external
cache).

        Also, how much of an increase would I get over the above by
putting in a 486/DX5 120?  And how much more would it cost me?

2. Sound card trouble..

3. which distribution will work on old 486 DX2/66

4. screen

5. 3c509 ethernet and IBM aptiva 486 DX2 66

6. Can't umount a JFS filesystem

7. '92 Gateway 486/66 DX2 and Linux, any luck?

8. Where to download lynx??

9. Why does my 486 DX2 66 register 0.78 BogoMips (no turbo switch) ?

10. Acer Acros 486 DX2/66 - 12 MB cool, 16 MB crash - please help

11. 486 DX2-66 => DX4-100 in a laptop.

12. 486 DX2-66 Speed?

13. 486 DX2/66 Okay for ipfwadm?