WEIRD login problem

Post by jrm » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:19:54

Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box,
it starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root"
and hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back
to the login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on???
This system has been working fine for months.

WEIRD login problem

Post by ynotsso » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:31:55

> Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box,
> it starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root"
> and hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back
> to the login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on???
> This system has been working fine for months.

Perhaps something happened to the /etc/securetty file. The tty must be listed
in this file for the login process to request a password of the root user.

This hypothesis could be re-inforced if you can successfully login as a normal
user and then su to check that file's contents and permissions.

-rw-------    1 root     root          114 Mar 29  2000 /etc/securetty

                tony

WEIRD login problem

Post by ynotsso » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:36:04

[...]

Quote:>> Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box,
>> it starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root"
>> and hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back
>> to the login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on???
>> This system has been working fine for months.

> Perhaps something happened to the /etc/securetty file. The tty must be listed
> in this file for the login process to request a password of the root user.

> This hypothesis could be re-inforced if you can successfully login as a normal
> user and then su to check that file's contents and permissions.

> -rw-------    1 root     root          114 Mar 29  2000 /etc/securetty

RH7.1 contents:

vc/1
vc/2
vc/3
vc/4
vc/5
vc/6
vc/7
vc/8
vc/9
vc/10
vc/11
tty1
tty2
tty3
tty4
tty5
tty6
tty7
tty8
tty9
tty10
tty11

                        tony

WEIRD login problem

Post by Richard Pit » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:39:24

> Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box, it
> starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root" and
> hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back to the
> login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on??? This
> system has been working fine for months.

I'm betting that either the shell command path in the /etc/passwd file is
wrong, or the shell is screwy (bad binary??) or the shell is not listed in
/etc/shells

richard

--
Richard C. Pitt                 C.E.O. Belcarra Technologies

Software Systems - design and implementation: Internet, Linux, Communications
USB, ATM, E-mail, SQL, Encryption, Security, Web, Embedded Systems

WEIRD login problem

Post by Stuart Fulle » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 00:05:04

> Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box,
> it starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root"
> and hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back
> to the login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on???
> This system has been working fine for months.

More information needed.

Can you login as a non-root user?  If so, can you then "su -" to root?

Is this at a console prompt, or is this an xdm/kdm/gdm login session?

Any changes to your /etc/pam.d area lately?

Is there another machine nearby from which you can telnet into your system?

Do you have syslog logging everything to /dev/tty8 or /dev/tty12?  If so,
can you switch to that console and see any error messages?

Can you shut the machine down, boot single-user and look at your
/var/log/messages file for any interesting messages?

        Stu

WEIRD login problem

Post by jrm » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:20:24

> > Something weird is happening hear... When I boot my redhat linux box,
> > it starts everything up and comes to a login prompt.  I type in "root"
> > and hit enter.  Instead of asking for a password, it goes right back
> > to the login prompt.  Anybody have any ideas what could be going on???
> > This system has been working fine for months.

> More information needed.

> Can you login as a non-root user?  If so, can you then "su -" to root?

> Is this at a console prompt, or is this an xdm/kdm/gdm login session?

> Any changes to your /etc/pam.d area lately?

> Is there another machine nearby from which you can telnet into your
system?

> Do you have syslog logging everything to /dev/tty8 or /dev/tty12?  If so,
> can you switch to that console and see any error messages?

> Can you shut the machine down, boot single-user and look at your
> /var/log/messages file for any interesting messages?

>         Stu

Can you login as a non-root user?
Nope

 Is this at a console prompt, or is this an xdm/kdm/gdm login session?
Console

Any changes to your /etc/pam.d area lately?
I'll have to check

 Is there another machine nearby from which you can telnet into your system?
Yes but I can't telnet in.

Do you have syslog logging everything to /dev/tty8 or /dev/tty12?  If so,
can you switch to that console and see any error messages?
Nope.  All goes to /var/log/messages

Can you shut the machine down, boot single-user and look at your
 /var/log/messages file for any interesting messages?
Yes. Nothing interesting.

I did find a solution.  I had to update the following package:
util-linux-2.11f-17.7.2.i386.rpm

This fixed the RedHat bug.

1. Very weird login problem

Hello!
I am ruinning a redhat linux server with 2.2.14 kernel and ip_masq.
I had it running for 5 months now, without a hitch.. Until now..
When i try to log in at the console or via telnet, it says login incorect.
So i thought passwords were messed up..
But when in log into linuxconf or FTP, the passwords work ok.
So what is going on? It is realy anoying me, cause I CAN'T LOG IN TO MY OWN
BOX!

Plz help? What am i looking for? suggestions?

I'd hate to have to reinstall it.. grr
Thanks..
Niels

2. HELP! Converting .xbm to .bmp, .gif or .jpg

3. Weird Login Problem

4. question about SetEnv in Apache

5. Weird Login problem

6. HOW-TO: Stop file name expension on command line

7. weird login problem

8. XShipWars .92 Released

9. fix for weird login problem

10. weird login problem

11. REDHAT 5.0+Triteal CDE--->>weird login problem

12. Weird login problem

13. Very weird login problem