Telnets/rlogins breaks under certain conditions

Telnets/rlogins breaks under certain conditions

Post by David J. Boatwrig » Wed, 16 Nov 1994 04:23:18

        Can someone please tell me if the following is a linux/slackware
bug or a configuration problem.
        Ever since I have installed Linux both at home and at work I
have had a strange problem.  Sometimes when a user would telnet or
rlogin to the Linux box they would have their connection closed
right away.  I have discovered that the nameservers that I depend on
have been flaky for the past few weeks.  If the nameserver first listed
in /etc/resolv.conf was down this condition occured.   It seems like a
some kind of inetd or telnetd problem in which it chokes and disconnects
if the first listed nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf is down and it does
not know to check the other listed nameservers.  A quick fix is to
reorder the nameservers in resolv.conf, but it is enough of a problem to
cause users of a system to get annoyed when they can't get into the system.
Other services such as nfs an gopher are not affected by this.  If this
problem is listed in a FAQ could you please direct me to it or let me
know what might cause this problem.  I have been a faithful user of Linux
for many months know and have had no problems except this one.  Any advise
on this is appreciated.

Configuration of my systems that have had problems:

Linux Kernels - 1.1.18 -> 1.1.61
Slackware Distribution 2.0
Network Cards - NE2000 and 3com 3c509's

Sample of a connection problem:

Foo:~# telnet Bar
Trying 128.103.118.45...
Connected to Bar.harvard.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
Foo:~#

                                                David J. Boatwright

1. Telnets/rlogins breaks under certain conditions

[...]

2. OPENLOOK filemgr

3. telnets/rlogins break under certain conditions

4. XENIX... adding extra serial ports?

5. Telnet from certain sites broken...

6. login_getclass error after make world

7. Spawn a process after certain condition

8. glibc?

9. Automounting an SMB File System under certain conditions

10. allow root rlogin from certain hosts?

11. Any way to fully control BREAK condition on an RS232 line?

12. Detecting line break condition

13. A way to fully control BREAK condition on an RS232 line?